This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3731 / 53°22'23"N
Longitude: -1.4434 / 1°26'36"W
OS Eastings: 437131
OS Northings: 386396
OS Grid: SK371863
Mapcode National: GBR 9PN.3M
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.SGWY
Plus Code: 9C5W9HF4+7M
Entry Name: Manor Lodge School Adjoining Caretakers House and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456585
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: Manor Castle
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Manor St Aidan with St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE CITY ROAD
784-1/6/184 (North East side)
Manor Lodge School, adjoining
caretaker's house and boundary wall
School, caretaker's house and boundary wall. Dated 1876. By
Innocent & Brown. For the Sheffield School Board. Gothic
Revival style. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles. 2 triple side wall
stacks with lozenge-shaped flues with louvred ventilator
openings between them. School buildings have gablet
ventilators and square open wooden bell turret with conical
spire and finial. Plinth, eaves band, coped gables. L-plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey plus basement; 13 window range. Main
gable, to left, has a pointed arched recess with hoodmould and
sillband, containing a pair of tall lancets with double
transoms. Above and between them, a lozenge shaped datestone.
On either side, a shouldered casement.
Left return has three 2-light shouldered windows with stone
mullions, and various basement openings.
To right, main range has central gabled wing with a tall
single lancet flanked by buttresses, and beyond by single
shouldered windows. On either side, a single window, then two
2-light windows, with shouldered heads and stone mullions.
To right, caretaker's house, with, to left, a gabled wing with
a 2-light shouldered window, and above it, 2 slit ventilators.
Below, a canted hipped stone bay window with 3 shouldered
plain sashes. To right, a board door with overlight. To right
again, a coped yard wall with a board door. Right gable has to
right a chamfered external corner stack on a bracket. On the
first floor, 2 single lancets with moulded heads, and below, a
similar smaller window.
Similar rear elevation has central gable flanked by larger
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, adjoining boundary wall with
intermediate piers, chamfered ashlar coping and caps. To
right, a corner gate and a section of cast-iron railing.
Approx 100m long.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this school is one of a number designed by
Innocent & Brown for the Sheffield School Board, and is
amongst the earliest in England to be built after the 1870
Education Act. The design published in 1874 shows the
caretaker's house at the other end of the main range.
(Innocent & Brown: Illustrations of Public Elementary Schools
(etc): Sheffield: 1873-; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City
Listing NGR: SK3713186396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings