This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3809 / 53°22'51"N
Longitude: -1.4747 / 1°28'28"W
OS Eastings: 435038
OS Northings: 387248
OS Grid: SK350872
Mapcode National: GBR 9GK.BT
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.B80Y
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJG+94
Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Church
Listing Date: 1 May 1952
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456194
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SW CARVER STREET
784-1/24/149 (West side)
01/05/52 Wesleyan Methodist Church
(Formerly Listed as:
Wesleyan Methodist church, now disused. 1804, with addition
c1845. By W Jenkins. Brick with stone dressings and slate
EXTERIOR: plinth, impost bands, first floor band, modillion
eaves and pediment, coped gables. Windows are 8 pane sashes
set in round-headed recesses. 2 storeys; 5 x 6 windows.
West front has a projecting 3 bay centre with pediment
containing inscribed tablet, under a 5 bay gable containing a
roundel. Central Venetian window. Doorcase with engaged Tuscan
columns and open pediment, with 2-leaf panelled doors and
fanlight. On either side, 6 windows. On the ground floor, 5
windows and to east, round-headed doorway with fanlight. 2
storey rear addition, arranged as a cross-wing, has pedimented
gables, each with 2 recessed round-headed plain sashes on each
Rear has closed pediment and 6 similar flush windows arranged
1:4:1. Off-centre round-headed door with 2 windows to left and
a single window to right.
INTERIOR: rendered, with central wood panelled entrance hall
with glazed doors and bronze centenary memorial tablet in
marble surround. On either side, lobbies with L-plan wooden
stairs with stick balusters. The body of the church has at the
front a segment-headed recess with eared architrave, flanked
on either side by pilasters with Commandment boards. Beyond,
single doors and then round-headed recesses. Above, fluted
Ionic pilasters flanking the organ opening with bow fronted
organ case, 1902. On either side, a round-headed recess. At
the rear, a single door each side. Single-panel ceiling has
moulded edge and large central boss, and modillion cornice.
All-round gallery has rounded corners and round wooden posts
with octagonal feet. Fielded panelled front with dentilled
cornice and top rail.
FITTINGS include early C20 wooden pulpit, Baroque Revival
style, with paired Ionic columns and projecting centre. Curved
stair with cast-iron balustrade. U-plan cast-iron communion
rail with moulded wooden top. Classical style wooden lectern
and panelled communion table. Matchboard pews throughout, with
benches on the gallery. Memorials include a marble wall
tablet, 1830, with splayed corners, 2 portrait medallions and
bust. Ogee headed Gothic wall tablet with portrait medallion,
1837. Ten C19 marble tablets, mainly Classical. This building
is said to have an exceptionally large single span timber
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 452).
Listing NGR: SK3503887248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings