This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3352 / 53°20'6"N
Longitude: -1.4627 / 1°27'45"W
OS Eastings: 435879
OS Northings: 382166
OS Grid: SK358821
Mapcode National: GBR LY7W.44
Mapcode Global: WHDDW.HFQJ
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 1 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455857
Location: Sheffield, S8
Electoral Ward/Division: Graves Park
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norton St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38SE NORTON CHURCH ROAD, Norton
784-1/10/859 (North West side)
01/05/52 Church of St James the Great
Formerly known as: Church of St James the Great MATTHEWS LANE.
Parish church. C11, C13, C15, south chancel chapel 1524. Choir
vestry C20. Restored 1710 and C19. Squared stone with ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate and lead roofs.
PLAN: chancel, south chapel, clergy vestry and organ chamber,
nave with clerestory and aisles, south porch, choir vestry,
EXTERIOR: blank sided chancel has crenellated east gable with
angle buttresses and a C15 5-light lancet with intersecting
tracery and hoodmould. Crenellated south chancel chapel has
plinth and buttresses topped with pinnacles, 2 of them with
coats of arms. To south, 3 flat-headed 3-light Perpendicular
windows, and to east a 5-light pointed arch panel tracery
window with hoodmould and stops.
Clergy vestry and organ chamber, C19, has angle buttress and
coped gables. To north a doorway and to its right, a 2-light
and a 3-light pointed arch panel tracery window with label
moulds. To east, a similar 5-light window matching that in the
Nave clerestory, C15, has eaves band and crenellated parapet
and coped gable with cross. Rainwater heads dated 1710, with
initials. On either side, 5 cusped single lancets within
flat-headed surrounds. To left of the south porch, a restored
flat-headed 2-light window, C15, with label mould. South aisle
has plinth and crenellated parapet continued over the south
porch, and 2 small gabled buttresses. Two 3-light windows with
unusual panel tracery and hoodmoulds.
South porch has an angle buttress and plain C13 style outer
doorway with restored responds. Inside, C19 single bay rib
vault and heavily restored C11 doorway with zigzag moulding. 6
reset Norman mask corbels and 6 reset headstones.
Unbuttressed north aisle has coped parapet and three C19
Decorated 3-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds. C20
flat-roofed choir vestry at west end with east door and
4-light mullioned north window.
West tower, C13, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, string courses,
angle buttresses topped with pinnacles, crenellated parapet
and gargoyles. First stage has to west a 3-light pointed arch
panel tracery window with transom and hoodmould. Second stage
has to south a single lancet with a clock above it. Bell stage
has a C13 style 2-light pointed arch bell opening on each
side, with hoodmould.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with
semi-octagonal responds and crocket capitals. To its right, a
double squint. Renewed arch braced roof with traceried
spandrels. North side has C19 organ chamber arch and doorway.
South side has 2 bay arcade, 1524, with octagonal pier and
chamfered and moulded arches. South chapel has a restored
gabled roof with moulded timbers and bosses. North-west corner
has a figure niche and south-east corner an ogee headed
piscina. Nave has restored low pitched roof with arch braces.
Triple chamfered tower arch with double chamfered responds and
semicircular shafts. 5 bay north arcade, c1200, has round
piers with octagonal capitals and double chamfered arches. 3
bay south arcade, C14, has octagonal piers and capitals with
double chamfered arches. Figure niche in east impost. South
aisle has restored C15 roof with moulded timbers and bosses.
East end has a double chamfered arch. North aisle has restored
lean-to roof and similar east arch to south aisle, with
Perpendicular style screen. West end has a doorway and 2 reset
FITTINGS include carved octagonal font, c1220, with shafts.
C19 stalls, benches and octagonal wooden pulpit. Three C18
round-topped benefactions boards. 4 mid and late C19 stained
glass windows plus 2 late C19 by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.
MEMORIALS include alabaster chest tomb with crocketed ogee
panels, figures and life-size effigies to William Blythe,
c1520. 2 incised slabs to the Blythe family, C15 and C16.
Marble sarcophagus with crest above supported by putti, to Sir
William Bullock, 1666. Classical style tablet, 1741, scroll
monument with obelisk and crest above, 1766. Tablet with
portrait medallion to Sir Francis Chantrey, 1841, by James
Heffernan. Tablet and memorial carillon, 1917.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 479).
Listing NGR: SK3587982166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings