This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3348 / 53°20'5"N
Longitude: -1.4622 / 1°27'44"W
OS Eastings: 435907
OS Northings: 382127
OS Grid: SK359821
Mapcode National: GBR LY7W.78
Mapcode Global: WHDDW.HFXS
Entry Name: Norton War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 February 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1462457
Location: Sheffield, S8
Electoral Ward/Division: Graves Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
War memorial commemorating the First World War and Second World War, 1920, designer unknown.
War memorial commemorating the First World War and Second World War. 1920, designer unknown.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
PLAN: a cross set on a tapering, square base standing on three square steps.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St James the Great (Grade II*, National Heritage List for England 1271180). It takes the form of a tapering Celtic cross in white Cornish granite with lead lettering painted black. The cross head is carved with a raised knot work design. The central roundel on the front, east face is carved with the image of a pelican feeding its young with its own heart’s blood. The east face of the tapering shaft is carved with a trailing vine stem bearing leaves and grapes and the remaining faces are carved with interlaced knot work patterns. The east face of the tapering base has the lettering TO THE MEMORY OF THE / OFFICERS AND MEN / OF THE / PARISH OF NORTON / WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES / IN THE / GREAT EUROPEAN WAR / 1914 – 1919. Beneath it says THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION. The south face of the base says OFFICERS with three names and beneath, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS with four names. The north and west faces bear the names of the 16 MEN.
A granite wedge has been set on the east side of the bottom step. It is inscribed WE ALSO REMEMBER WITH GRATITUDE / THOSE WHO FELL BETWEEN 1939 AND 1945 / AND IN SUBSEQUENT CONFLICTS.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such war memorial was raised at Norton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Norton War Memorial was funded by public subscription and was unveiled on 26 June 1920. It commemorated 23 local men who lost their lives in the First World War.
Later a stone wedge was added to the memorial commemorating those who died in the Second World War and subsequent conflicts.
Norton War Memorial commemorating the First World War and the Second World War and subsequent conflicts, 1920, designer unknown, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a well designed and attractive memorial in the form of a Celtic cross in white Cornish granite with good-quality decorative relief-carving, providing a fitting tribute to the lives lost.
* the war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Grade II* Church of St James the Great and in close proximity to a preaching cross, the tomb of Sir Francis Chantrey, a memorial obelisk and the Old Rectory, all of which are listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings