History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House Including Burial Ground Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.607 / 52°36'25"N

Longitude: 1.7254 / 1°43'31"E

OS Eastings: 652333

OS Northings: 307543

OS Grid: TG523075

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.K0W

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GQTR

Plus Code: 9F43JP4G+R5

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House Including Burial Ground Walls

Listing Date: 5 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468496

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text

TG5207NW
839-1/12/53

GREAT YARMOUTH,
HOWARD STREET SOUTH (East side),
No.17

Friends Meeting House including burial ground walls

05/08/74

II

Friends' meeting house. 1692. Rebuilt 1807, on the site of a
cell of the Augustinian Priory of Gorleston and re-using some
material. Rendered and colourwashed brick under a pantiled
roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. West facade with a plinth course and a
6-panelled door to the right under a plain overlight. Two 6/6
horned sashes under segmental heads are set to left at upper
level and there are 3 ventilation grilles to the cellar. North
return with a cellar grille also and a 6/6 upper sash. South
return also with a cellar grille, and, in the apex of the
gable, a late C20 3/3 horned sash. To the right is half of a
rebated stone arch probably of C15 origin surviving from
earlier building. Gabled roof with rebuilt stack on west
slope.
INTERIOR: main hall with a plank dado and a raised bench to
the north end with a panelled screen. At south end is a
panelled balcony, now blocked, but with 4 rows of benches
behind it at first-floor level. Roof of C20 principals
carrying purlins. Undercroft opened out 1979-81. 1807 floor
beams overhead. 1979 cast-iron columns and rolled steel
joists. West wall with 4 C15 splayed window embrasures with
stone jambs and sloping sills. Walls of flint and brick.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 3 ranges of wall enclose a burial ground
to east. North range of flint and brick with rendered coping,
east range of brick is rendered over, south range of coursed
flints.
(Edwin R: Archive at Norfolk Archaeology Unit).


Listing NGR: TG5233307543

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.