History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canal Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9483 / 52°56'53"N

Longitude: -1.1486 / 1°8'54"W

OS Eastings: 457305

OS Northings: 339327

OS Grid: SK573393

Mapcode National: GBR LPR.G8

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.B593

Plus Code: 9C4WWVX2+8H

Entry Name: Canal Museum

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271308

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454879

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St George with St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739SW CANAL STREET
646-1/23/71 (South side)
Canal Museum

GV II

Canal warehouse, now canal museum. 1895. For Fellows, Morton &
Clayton, canal carriers. Converted 1980-81. Brown brick with
blue and yellow brick and terracotta dressings. Slate roofs.
Plinth, pilasters, modillion eaves and gables. Windows are
cast-iron glazing bar casements, mostly segment-headed.
4 storeys, 4 x 5 bays. Double range, with gabled roofs. The
building spans a short canal arm, with internal docking for 2
boats.
South front, facing the canal, has to right a segmental arch
over the dock, and to left, 2 windows. Above, regular courses
of 4 windows, the fourth floor windows round-arched. Above
again, a name panel, and 2 gables with round windows.
Right return has on the ground floor a full width steel framed
canopy covering a loading platform and double sliding doors.
Central segment-arched loft doors on each floor, flanked by 2
windows.
Rear, to Canal Street, similar to the south front, with 2
ground floor windows and doors.
INTERIOR: largely original, has wooden beams and floors
carried on cast-iron columns, now with fire resistant coating.
King post truss roofs.
(Palmer M & Neaverson P: Industrial Landscapes of the East
Midlands: Chichester: 1992-: 141; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 248; Interpretation
panels in museum).


Listing NGR: SK5730539327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.