This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9475 / 52°56'50"N
Longitude: -1.1476 / 1°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 457369
OS Northings: 339240
OS Grid: SK573392
Mapcode National: GBR LPR.NJ
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.B5RQ
Plus Code: 9C4WWVW2+XW
Entry Name: Railway Goods Offices and Adjoining Covered Platforms, Gate Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454893
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St George with St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739SW CARRINGTON STREET
646-1/23/88 (West side)
Railway goods offices & adjoining
covered platforms, gate piers &
Railway goods offices and adjoining area railings, boundary
wall, gate piers and covered platforms. 1875, altered 1991-93.
Gate piers 1848.
Office building, red brick and ashlar with ashlar dressings
and hipped slate roof. 4 corniced ashlar stacks. First floor
string course, dentillated eaves cornice, coped parapet.
Italianate style, with polychrome banded front and rusticated
ground floor. 2 storeys plus basement; 5 x 2 windows. Basement
has 4 blocked windows with continuous granite lintels.
Central projecting porch with segment-arched opening and
original double doors. On each side, 2 segment-arched cross
mullioned windows with keystones. Above, a round-arched plain
sash flanked by 2 pairs of similar windows, all with label
moulds and impost band.
Returns have similar fenestration without ornament.
Outside, a cast-iron area railing with ashlar plinth and
square piers. Beyond, to right, a curved boundary wall,
ashlar, with plinth and gabled coping. At the right end, a
gateway with a pair of square ashlar piers with renewed
stepped caps topped with lamps. These are said to be the gate
piers of the original station of 1848.
On each side of the office building, covered platforms with
hipped steel and cast-iron roof structures, formerly glazed.
Listing NGR: SK5736939240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings