This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8669 / 51°52'0"N
Longitude: -2.2464 / 2°14'46"W
OS Eastings: 383131
OS Northings: 218727
OS Grid: SO831187
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.WC3
Mapcode Global: VH94C.0BSQ
Entry Name: Wardle House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472142
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
844-1/8/59 Wardle House
A prebendal house for a residentiary canon of Gloucester
Cathedral, now public school house, part of the King's School
(qv); 1677-1686, C18 alterations, remodelled and extended
c1800. Rendered brick and rubble, slate roof, brick stacks.
PLAN: double-depth block, built against the east side of the
remains of the medieval wall which formerly separated the
monks' cemetery from the lay cemetery within the precinct of
St Peter's Abbey; entrance front on the north side with a
large semicircular bow to left, garden front on the east side.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and attic; entrance front of four bays
and to left a large projecting bow, on the ground floor in
third bay from right a late C19, gabled, timber-framed
entrance porch with side-lights, within porch the entrance
doorway, of c1800, framed by fluted pilasters with leaf
capitals and entablature.
INTERIOR: central hall has stone paving in diaper pattern with
slate inserts at the corners of the slabs; excellent mid C17
open well staircase with pulvinated, closed string, square
newels surmounted by carved urns and with pierced drops,
twisted balusters and handgrip handrail; on both the first and
the second floor landings are three c1800 suspended arches
with drops and carved spandrels; room to left refitted in
early C19, C19 slate chimney piece; other rooms with C18
HISTORY: in C19 the home of Mary Anne Lewis (Evans), later, as
the wife of Benjamin Disraeli, Countess of Beaconsfield.
(Welander D: The History, Art and Architecture of Gloucester
Cathedral: Stroud, Gloucestershire: 1991-; Eward S: No Fine
but a Glass of Wine, Cathedral Life at Gloucester: Salisbury:
1985-: 299, 312; BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and
the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 226).
Listing NGR: SO8313118727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings