History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tinside Lido and Changing Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Plymouth, City of Plymouth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3632 / 50°21'47"N

Longitude: -4.1421 / 4°8'31"W

OS Eastings: 247742

OS Northings: 53666

OS Grid: SX477536

Mapcode National: GBR RBC.MT

Mapcode Global: FRA 2862.Q4X

Entry Name: Tinside Lido and Changing Rooms

Listing Date: 17 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471689

Location: Plymouth, PL1

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Turnchapel

Listing Text


740-1/25/10064 HOE ROAD
17-NOV-98 (South,off)
Tinside Lido and Changing Rooms

II

Sea water bathing pool. 1935 by J Wibberley, borough engineer, with Edmund Nuttall and Sons and John Mowlem and Company, builders, with entrance building of 1933 by the same engineer. Mass concrete pool strengthened by counterfort walls and reinforced concrete inner walls, duct walls and floors; with reinforced concrete buildings and some stone retaining walls. The entrance building faced in stone. Semi-circular pool, 180 feet in diameter, with projecting jetties, and at entrance circular cutwaters separated by steps. Entrance buildings used largely for sunbathing, with flat roofs and metal windows. The changing rooms also with flat roof, in art deco style, with square metal windows and prominent staircase leading from the cliff face to the pool side and leading to changing rooms. The upper floor with balcony, the lower floor with changing rooms (not inspected). Staircase with original tiling and balustrading, and relief figure. The pool has three fountains which aereated the water, and is surrounded by cast-iron railings. To the north east of the pool the sea wall continues with three semi-circular bastion-like projections, between which there are broad steps to the shore and above pavilions with railed terraces on top and integral shelters on the south west end facing the pool.
Source. Opening brochure, 2 October 1935.

Listing NGR: SX4771653662

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.