This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8007 / 50°48'2"N
Longitude: -1.1077 / 1°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 462976
OS Northings: 100507
OS Grid: SU629005
Mapcode National: GBR VNC.ZM
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.B8J
Entry Name: Number 15 Store (Building Number 1/62) and Bollard at South East Corner
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476632
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6200 NE ANCHOR LANE
774-1/17/186 HM Naval Base
No 15 Store (Building No. 1/62)
and bollard at SE corner
Alternatively known as: East Sea Store, ANCHOR LANE HM NAVAL BASE
Ropery store. 1771, much altered mid-late C20. Red brick with some blue headers in English bond. C20 flat-topped mansard roof of plain tiles with roof light, replaces former double- pitched roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, formerly with cellar; 7 bays. Ashlar and concrete plinth on south side. Buttresses to ground floor each with brick table and stepped offset heads. Windows have segmental brick arches, replacement soldier-brick arches on 2nd floor, projecting sills and C20 metal windows. Inserted large loading doors. Boxed eaves.
INTERIOR: replacement floors, stairs and roof trusses. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at south-east corner a bollard formed of an upended cannon barrel, probably early-mid C19 reused as bollard mid-late C19, with muzzle blocked. HISTORY: constructed as part of the rebuilding of the ropery after the fire of 1770; possibly used for storing tarred hemp before it was transferred to the ropery for laying. Though more altered than the roperies at either Chatham or Devonport, this is still one of the largest integrated groups of C18 industrial buildings in the country, and part of a group of late C18 stores.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700- 1850: Portsmouth: 1981:19-21; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 132-136,204).
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings