This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8037 / 50°48'13"N
Longitude: -1.1067 / 1°6'24"W
OS Eastings: 463044
OS Northings: 100835
OS Grid: SU630008
Mapcode National: GBR VNJ.TF
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.4ND
Entry Name: Brass Foundry (Building Number 1/142 East End (Psto (N) 34 Store)
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476690
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6300 NW VICTORIA ROAD
HM Naval Base
774-1/29/246 Brass Foundry (Building No 1/142,
east end (PSTO (n) 34 Store)
Iron and brass foundry, now workshop. 1848, by Cpt H James, RE; traveller road roofed 1888. Red brick in English bond with granite plinth and Portland ashlar dressings; corrugated iron hipped valley roof with ridge vents. Square plan, W traveller. EXTERIOR: single storey; 7 parallel hipped-roofed ranges giving elevations of 7 x 7 bays, with bay added in same style at west end. Plinth. Round-arched arcades framing large small-pane cast-iron windows, most replaced mid C20, N and 2 ends with doorways 1 bay from the ends with fanlights and metal doors, keystones and projecting blocking courses; impost band, eaves cornice and blocking course, raised over the doorways.
INTERIOR has a wrought-iron roof with angle struts and vertical round- section ties. W former traveller road contains cast-iron traveller supports inscribed "JA BALDY IRON FOUNDER/LNDPORT/1864".
HISTORY: used temporarily for iron-founding before the construction of the adjacent iron foundry ( qv) from 1857. Originally with brass furnaces along the centre partition wall, drawn by 4 central chimneys on iron frames, and 2 iron cupola furnaces and casting pits in the foundry section. The building was, with James' No.2 Ship Shop and Greene's Iron Foundry (qqv), an integral element in the dockyard expansion of the 1840s which enabled the yard to deal with the new steam-powered ships which the navy was beginning to employ.
(Sources: The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 16 ; Evans D: The Buildings of the Steam Navy: 1994: 9-11, 17 ; Professional Papers of the Royal Engineers, Series 3: James H: Description of the Steam Basin, Factory and other Works: 1853: 92).
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings