This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8037 / 50°48'13"N
Longitude: -1.1047 / 1°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 463182
OS Northings: 100841
OS Grid: SU631008
Mapcode National: GBR VNV.K2
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.5FS
Plus Code: 9C2WRV3W+F4
Entry Name: Whitley Rooms (Building Number 1/138) and Bollard at North East Corner
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476691
Location: Portsmouth, PO2
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6300 NW VICTORIA ROAD
HM Naval Base
774-1/29/249 Whitley Rooms (Building No 1/138)
and bollard at NE corner
Alternatively known as: Ivy Lane Cottage, HM NAVAL BASE
Dockyard gatehouse, now office. 1857 (Property Register). Red brick in English bond with ashlar and replacement concrete dressings, and gauged red-brick arches to openings. Concealed hipped slate roof with rendered stack.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2 bays x 3 on west elevation, 4 on east elevation. Plinth; round-arched openings and impost band to ground floor; flat- arched windows with replacement 12-pane sashes, and sill band on 1st floor; stepped dentilled eaves below cornice with blocking course. North elevation has blind windows, and door on left; south elevation a blocked, original, flat-arched doorway on left with blind window over; west elevation a door on left and inserted door between right-hand windows. At north-east corner is a cannon barrel of probably early-mid C19 date, reused as bollard probably mid-late C19 by setting barrel on end.
INTERIOR: 2 blocked tall round archways in spine wall; closed-string stair with stick balusters and bulbous columnar newels. HISTORY: originally there were cells along the west side. The building adjoins the dockyard wall (qv), and served as a gatehouse to Marlborough Gate until the gateway was moved to the south.
(Source: HM Naval Base Portsmouth: Property Register).
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings