History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9811 / 52°58'51"N

Longitude: -0.9725 / 0°58'20"W

OS Eastings: 469086

OS Northings: 343131

OS Grid: SK690431

Mapcode National: GBR BL8.0Z6

Mapcode Global: WHFJ0.1B6H

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 1 December 1965

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272697

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447908

Location: East Bridgford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: East Bridgford

Built-Up Area: East Bridgford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: East Bridgford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Bridgford

Listing Text

EAST BRIDGFORD KIRK HILL
SK 6943
(north west side)
Church of St. Peter
11/47
1.12.65

G.V. I

Parish church. Cll, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19. Restored 1671 and
1686. Tower rebuilt 1778 by Francis Moore. Chancel windows
renewed 1862. Organ chamber and Lady Chapel rebuilt 1862.
Restored 1901, 1903 and 1914 by C. E. Ponting. Ashlar, dressed
stone, brick and coursed rubble. Ashlar dressings. Slate and
plain tile roofs. Stepped and chamfered plinths. Moulded
parapets. Shouldered coped gables with crosses. Chancel south
side has wavy corbel table. Gargoyles early C20. Several
gadrooned rainwater heads. West tower, nave, north and south
aisles, organ chamber, Lady Chapel, chancel, south porch. West
tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band, crenellated
parapet. 4 pinnacles with wind vanes bearing Arms. South east
side has buttress engaged with south aisle. First stage has to
south, C16 cusped head casement. Above, tablet inscribed
"..Tower was rebuilt and ... roof renewed.., in the year of our
Lord 1778. Moore Archt." West side has moulded door, C16, with
overlight. North side has C16 lancet and late C20 flat roofed
addition in return angle. Second stage has to south, clock,
1887. To west, casement with segmental head. Third stage has 4
re-used C16 double lancets. Nave clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has
moulded eaves and 3 gargoyles each side. Each side has 3 triple
lancets with depressed ogee heads, Decorated tracery, hood moulds
and stops. North aisle, C14 and C15, 4 bays, has 3 buttresses, 2
setoffs. Moulded eaves band with gargoyles. West end has
restored C15 double lancet with cusped heads, Decorated tracery
and hood mould. North side has to west, chamfered C13 doorway
with hood mould and 3 C18 leaded casements with segmental heads.
South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has moulded eaves band with gargoyles,
and buttress, 2 setoffs. South side has to west, late C15 cusped
double lancet with hood mould. To east, C19 Decorated style
double lancet with ogee heads and hood mould. Organ chamber has
a diagonal buttress. North gable has pointed door, with hood
mould and stops. To its right, ogee headed double lancet.
Above, a smaller lancet. East side has an ogee headed lancet.
Lady Chapel has to east, a pair of corner buttresses and to west,
a single buttress. East side has a Perpendicular style double
lancet with hood mould. Above, a gargoyle. South gable has
Perpendicular style triple lancet with hood mould. Chancel,
early C13, 3 bays, has on north side, 3 string courses and
buttress, 4 setoffs, in western return angle. To left, plaque
inscribed "H * S 1671". To right, chamfered lancet, C13, with
remains of hood mould. East end has 2 pairs of different
flanking buttresses, those to left with a pair of re-set stops.
5 light lancet, late C14 style, with hood mould and mask stops.
South side has central buttress with patterned tablet. To its
left, restored C14 priest's door with roll moulding, and C19
Decorated double lancet. To its right, 2 similar C19 lancets,
all with hood moulds. South porch has pair of diagonal
buttresses and C14 moulded doorway with filleted responds and
hood mould. Above, niche with figure, 1906. Interior has 2
stone benches and C14 roof with moulded purlins. C14 inner
doorway has cove and roll moulding and billeted imposts. C19
door with latch dated 1662. Nave arcades, C14, 4 bays, have
each 3 octagonal piers and responds, with octagonal bases and
capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds
and mask stops. Low pitched roof with arch braces, angel corbels
and carved bosses, 1914. West end has C19 doorway with hood
mould. North aisle has off-centre C14 roll moulded tomb recess
with armorial tablet and mutilated figure of Sir John Babington,
1409. East end has blocked window and C20 brass aumbry. South
aisle has on both sides 3 windows with stained glass, 1914 and
1927. Both aisles have lean-to roofs with shield corbels, 1914.
Lady Chapel has to east, window with stained glass, 1914.
Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal
imposts and capitals. Chancel has bolection moulded sill band.
North side has to left, chamfered opening to organ chamber. To
its right, stained glass shield in window. East window has
splayed reveal with quoins and gabled head. South side has to
east, C14 piscina and triple sedilia with ogee heads, removed
1686 and replaced 1903. 2 windows with stained glass 1911 and
c.1920. Elaborate principal rafter roof with wind and arch
braces, 1903. Fittings include C13 stoup on clustered shaft.
Font, 1662, with Gothic panelled octagonal stem and splayed bowl
with strapwork. Panelled oak pulpit with Classical decoration,
1778, restored 1907. 2 fragments of Anglo-Saxon cross with
strapwork. Brass eagle lectern, late C19. Bells 1631, 1649,
1778, 1779 and 2 C19. Moulded softwood benches with shaped
ends, 1862. Panelled choir stalls and desks, 1903. Carved,
panelled oak chest, C18. Monuments include tablet with gabled
head and finials to Margaret Wilkinson, 1670. Slate tablet with
Latin inscription to Gabriel Brunt, 1638. Pilastered Classical
tablet with angel corbel and cornice to Jane Brunts, 1659 and
Robert Brunts, 1676. Large painted alabaster monument with
bracketed panelled aedicule containing kneeling figures. Below
relief panel with 6 child figures, and inscribed apron to John
Hacker, 1620, and Margaret Hacker, 1627. 3 Classical marble and
slate tablets to Hacker family, C19, one signed "Earnshaw,
Nottm." Marble and slate tablet with Arms and scrolled broken
pediment to Rev. Peter Priaulx, 1783 and Caelia Priaulx, 1751. 4
Classical marble and slate tablets, C19, to Beaumont family,
signed by J. E. Hall, Searey and Drake, and Hoyles, all of
Nottingham. 9 similar tablets, C19. Royal Arms, C20. C20
panels with list of rectors, charities and transcribed
inscription "This tower was rebuilt, the transepts taken down and
the church roofed, pewed and repaired in the yr. of our Id. 1778
Moore Archt."


Listing NGR: SK6908643126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.