This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0639 / 51°3'50"N
Longitude: -1.8082 / 1°48'29"W
OS Eastings: 413534
OS Northings: 129413
OS Grid: SU135294
Mapcode National: GBR 51D.CMX
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.MCL
Plus Code: 9C3W357R+HP
Entry Name: Mill House and Old Mill
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 446917
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Harnham St George and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1594 WEST HARNHAM
Mill House & The Old Mill
(Formerly listed as
The Old Mill)
SU 1329 10/341 28.2.52.
C14-C15. Restored. Mill house early C19. The Mill - 2 storey. Chequer of
dressed stone and knapped coursed flint. Old tile roof, carried down to ground
floor ceiling level on north west front. South east front has a fairly symmetrical
ground floor arrangement of 2 single-light moulded stone windows with pointed
arched and incised spandrels in rectangular surround, 2 similar doorways with
moulded stone surrounds and 4-centred arched heads with carved spandrels; and
with later plain ledged doors, and 2 central squints in stone surrounds. A
continuous moulded stone string is carried across front at head of windows
and doors and continued down sides of each opening approximately 2 ft turned
horizontally at bottom of drop sash side of windows, and terminated with diamond
block each side of door openings.
On 1st floor - 5 2-light leaded casements, probably modern.
Fine open timber framing to roof of lst floor room, originally Mill store.
Some C17-18 panelling and early woodwork.
The Mill house is a plain 4-storey building to left hand of mill of brick with
brick dentil eaves and hipped slate roof.
Originally 2 windows to upper floors, now 3. 2 2-light contemporary casements
on ground floor with 6-Panel door left hand under C18 pediment hood on carved
scroll brackets. Service entry at right hand.
The mill has a very picturesque setting, looking over a large pool and down
the river. The grading is partly for historical reasons. Now used as a restaurant.
The retaining walls to the sluices and mill walk should be carefully considered
in relation to this building.
Listing NGR: SU1353429413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings