History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Clergy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Almondbury, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6317 / 53°37'54"N

Longitude: -1.7491 / 1°44'56"W

OS Eastings: 416688

OS Northings: 415048

OS Grid: SE166150

Mapcode National: GBR JV7F.3W

Mapcode Global: WHCB2.3ZC7

Entry Name: The Old Clergy House

Listing Date: 29 September 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 416599

Location: Kirklees, HD5

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Almondbury

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Almondbury with Farnley Tyas Team Parish

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Almondbury

Listing Text

STOCKS WALK
1.
5113
(East Side)
Almondbury
The Old Clergy House
Nos 1, 2 and 3
SE 1615 40/1244
II
2.
1898. Architect Edgar Wood. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof.
2 storeys. Gabled wing at west end with coping on cut kneelers, and chimney
corbelled out from its east wall. Wooden porch in re-entrant angle. 2 shallow
canted bays with parapets carried up above eaves line. Otherwise south front
has two 3-light windows on 1st floor, one 4-light window on ground floor and
one side light to door. West wing has one 4-light and one (much smaller) 2-light
window on 1st floor, and one 4-light twin-transomed window on ground floor.
West side has 4 raked buttresses and one blocked door with semi-circular stone
hood below a 2-light fanlight (cf Norman Terrace, Lidget Street, Londley).
Rear has another chimney corbelled at 1st floor level, and a canted staircase
projection with hipped roof. All windows have square-sectioned mullions, flush
with wall surface, and ground floor windows in bays have transoms as well.
All are casements with lead glazing bars and ornamental iron fastenings.
Interior of No 2. Diagonally placed fireplace with painted bronze surround
embossed with stylised roses and inscription in Art Nouveau lettering "Parva
Domus Magna Quies." Fanlight and sidelight of the inner (arched) door have
good stained glass with twin bird motif.


Listing NGR: SE1668815048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.