This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3445 / 53°20'40"N
Longitude: -2.052 / 2°3'7"W
OS Eastings: 396636
OS Northings: 383070
OS Grid: SJ966830
Mapcode National: GBR GY3R.KS
Mapcode Global: WHBBB.G63C
Entry Name: The Cage
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407227
Location: Lyme Handley, Cheshire East, SK12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Lyme Handley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Disley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 98 SE LYME HANDLEY C.P. LYME PARK
4/73 The Cage.
Formerly hunting tower cum gatehouse, later park keeper's house and
prisoners' lock-up: Origins c.1580, taken down 1734 by George Platt,
rebuilt 1737 by Peter Platt, perhaps to a design by Leoni for Peter
Legh X. Coursed, squared, buff sandstone rubble with ashlar sandstone
dressings, felted roof and cupolas (originally stone) and formerly 2
chimneys. In plan, square with attached square corner towers.
3-storeys symmetrical fronts. Chamfered plinth, raised rusticated
quoins, applied ashlar band at first floor. Windows in towers in
raised, plain surrounds (now blocked but with 12-pane sashes
originally). Semi-circular headed doorcases on 3 faces, with
rusticated surrounds and Tuscan pilaster capitals to imposts with
raised plain, window surrounds above (all blocked). Projecting
heavily-moulded entablature with ashlar blocking course with central
balustrading (probably added by Wyatt, now damaged). On towers,
stepped bases to domed cupolas (now C20 wooden replacements) 3 square
sundials on moulded sills between 1st and 2nd storeys, read: east
face, "Vive Hodie"; south face, "Remember now the creator in the days
of thy youth"; west face, "Cras minus aptus eris".
Interior: 4 Tuscan antae with banded rustication in ground floor.
Diagonal flight leads to spiral, stone staircase in south-west corner
tower. Remainder of interior now removed but first floor was the main
room with a panelled oak ceiling with huge, central, carved rosette.
The stairs were in one corner, a fireplace, a lavatory, and a prison
room in the others.
All the elements used in the rebuild can be found in the south and
west ranges of Lyme Park (q.v.) but it is not certain if the C16
structure (paralled by an example at Chatsworth) was totally
demolished or not.
Listing NGR: SJ9663683070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings