History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St George's Hospital st George's Hospital and Attached Drinking Fountain

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5025 / 51°30'8"N

Longitude: -0.1527 / 0°9'9"W

OS Eastings: 528314

OS Northings: 179787

OS Grid: TQ283797

Mapcode National: GBR 9H.WL

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.9HMK

Entry Name: St George's Hospital st George's Hospital and Attached Drinking Fountain

Listing Date: 14 January 1970

Last Amended: 23 July 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1277491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406666

Location: Westminster, London, SW1X

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Knightsbridge and Belgravia

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Paul Knightsbridge

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

In the entry for:-
TQ 2879 NW Hyde Park Corner, SW1
88/16 St George's Hospital
II*
The address and description shall be amended to read:-
Hyde Park Corner, SW1
St George's Hospital and attached
Drinking fountain.
Purpose built hospital, begun 1827. William Wilkins. Painted stucco;
slate low pitched roof to parapet. Symmetrical block facing east with
return to north and south. Three storeys with attic added in 1859. 13
bays wide, including double centre bay. Podium. Basement with
chanelled rustication. projecting pedimented central portico of three
bays with square doric antae to entrance below. Pair of bays to each
end of block advanced, with applied doric pilasters. Dentil cornice
above second floor and subsidiary cornice to attic. Frieze of portico
with rosettes and words "St George's Hospital". Square headed windows
with architraves, corniced to ground and first floor; second floor
windows with flanking pilasters (a modification of 1859). Small paned
sash windows retaining glazing bars. Return elevation also of
interest. Facing Knightsbridge a C20 gateway in portland stone by C
Holden, with bronze bust of John Hunter by Alfred Gilbert.
Attached drinking fountain on Knightsbridge facade. Inscribed
"MDCCCLX" (1860) on the frieze. Erected by the Metropolitan Drinking
Fountain and Cattle trough Association. Fluted shell basin of carved
stone on a rough stone base flanked by stepped plinths surmounted by
acanthus leaf consoles carrying a frieze and cornice with scrolled
pediment and central finial. One of the earliest drinking fountains
erected by the Association, a hospital being seen as an appropriate
location. Founded in 1859 The Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain
Association (Cattle Trough added 1867) provided free fresh water to
many humans and beasts at a time when ale and spirits were easier to
obtain than water and most supplies contaminated. The Christian
association of water with purity of spirit led evangelical Victorians
to become patrons of the Association which provided a catalogue of
functional designs but some wealthy patrons used their own.
London Vol I. Pevsner.
country life November 11th 1976, p1354-6.
---------------------------------------------------

TQ 2879 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER HYDE PARK CORNER, SW1
88/16
14.1.70 St George's Hospital
GV II*
Purpose built hospital, begun 1827. William Wilkins. Painted stucco; slate low
pitched roof to parapet. Symmetrical block facing east with return to north and
south. Three storeys with attic added in 1859. 13 bays wide, including double
centre bay. Podium. Basement with chanelled rustication. Projecting pedimented
central portico of three bays with square Doric antae to entrance below. Pair of
bays to each end of block advanced, with applied Doric pilasters. Dentil cornice
above second floor and subsidiary cornice to attic. Frieze of portico with
rosettes and words "St George's Hospital". Square headed windows with
architraves, corniced to ground and first floor; second floor windows with
flanking pilasters (a modification of 1859). Small paned sash windows retaining
glazing bars. Return elevations also of interest. Facing Knightsbridge a C20
gateway in Portland stone by C Holden, with bronze bust of John Hunter by Alfred
Gilbert.
London Vol I. Pevsner.
Country Life November llth 1976, p1354 - 6.


Listing NGR: TQ2829779779

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.