History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ellastone, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9883 / 52°59'17"N

Longitude: -1.8274 / 1°49'38"W

OS Eastings: 411680

OS Northings: 343450

OS Grid: SK116434

Mapcode National: GBR 48Z.LSJ

Mapcode Global: WHCF9.W4ZY

Plus Code: 9C4WX5QF+82

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278444

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405742

Location: Ellastone, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE6

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Ellastone

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Ellastone St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stanton

Description

SK 14 SW ELLASTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE (East side)

5/56 Church of St. Peter

12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. West tower dated 1586, chancel dated 1588, nave and
North aislerebuilt 1830.Ashlar; clay tile roof with crested ridge
tiles. West tower with diagonal buttresses, nave with south porch,
North aisle, chancel and North chapel with West tower: 3 stages;
dated ANNO DOMINI 1586 above segmental pointed West doorway with
returned hood mould; West window above of 3 trefoiled lights and
panel tracery above, hood mould terminating in animal heads; oblong
aedicule to first stage of south side flanked by bracketed fluted
pilasters with full entablature, frieze inscribed "KNOWE THY SELFFE";
sundial above; second stage blank except for south side which has a
window with Y-tracery, the upper light blind; clock to west side;
belfry openings of 2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil above, and
hood mould over; crenellated parapet. Nave and North aisle: Rebuilt
1830; pointed windows with cusped Y-tracery and returned hood moulds;
Gabled South porch with pointed doorway of 2 arches flanked by gabled
angle buttresses; nook shafts with roll and fillet moulding; hood
mould terminating in heads of a bishop and a queen. Chancel and North
chapel: South side has a square headed window to right of 3 transomed
lights with basket arch heads and panel tracery over, ovolo moulded
jambs and head; central square headed door with frieze dated 1588
between a shaped hood mould and an enriched band; wall memorial to
left consisting of aedicule with bracketed base and moulded pilasters
to full entablature with enriched frieze. 2 East windows, one to
chancel and one to North chapel, both round headed of 3 transomed lights
with trefoiled heads and perpendicular tracery above; Bernard Granville
Memorial in centre: Bernard Granville. died 1775; ashlar aedicule
on top of chest tomb and against east wall, enriched pilasters with
scrolls to outside, fluted frieze, segmental headed pediment, triangular
slab above with drapery motif and shield within a garland; Inscription
within aedicule; grandson of Sir Bevil Granville the hero of the
civil war Battle of Lansdown. Interior: North arcade of 2i pointed
arches on octagonal piers and moulded capitals; pointed chancel arch
supported by semi-octagonal engaged columns with crenallated moulded
capitals decorated with ballflower; chamfered tower arch; nave roof
has arch braced collars carrying a collar purlin; hammer beam chancel
roof with arch braced collars, ridge piece and one pair of purlins.
Fittings: Stone font with octagonal stepped base and octagonal
bowl; C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with blind traceried panels.
Monuments: North chapel: Badly mutilated alabaster chest tomb, probably
C16, with 2 reclining figures on top, a man and a woman, her head resting
on 2 cushions, the north side and each end of the chest have carved
shields bearing heraldic arms, the south side is decorated with bird
motifs; wall memorial to John Granville, died 1800, marble aedicule
with reeded pilasters and moulded cornice surmounted by an urn with
feathered base, and draped with a cloth; polished limestone wall
memorial to Thomas Fleetwood died 1735, and Robert and Ellena Allen
died 1713, double aedicule with fluted pilasters, bracketed base and
moulded cornice. North aisle: James Unwin memorial died 1776,
marble plaque capped by a gadrooned urn; I.W.E. Wheeler memorial,
died 1818, marble plaque with heraldic shield above.


Listing NGR: SK1168043450

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.