This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1216 / 53°7'17"N
Longitude: -2.8167 / 2°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 345441
OS Northings: 358575
OS Grid: SJ454585
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.769Q
Mapcode Global: WH88N.PSXT
Entry Name: Calveley Hall
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 405142
Location: Handley, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Handley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Handley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 NE HANDLEY C.P. CHAPEL LANE
5/68 Calveley Hall.
Hall: 1684 for Lady Mary Calveley, remodelled 1818 for Sir Thomas
Legh of Lyme, some C20 alterations. Rendered brick with stone quoins
and plinth. Hipped Welsh slate roof and 2 brick chimneys. 3-storey,
symmetrical, 7-bay front (1:2:1:2:1). End bays are set back and have
12-pane sashes (1 altered to patio window). Central 5-bays form main
block. Flush 12-pane sashes in plain reveals. High solid parapet
with sunken panels over the windows. Doorcase has reeded columns with
semi-circular fanlight with radial glazing bars and a 6-panelled door.
To rear C17 brickwork visible with a slighted band and cornice.
Interior: Entrance lobby (probably taken out of left hand room which
has no C17 features) leads at back to excellent broad stair with a
shallow flight, square landing and second flight to left. Double
spiral newels with Baroque fruitbowl finials have Calveley arms to the
front. Double spiral balusters and heavily moulded handrail with a
frieze of interwining roses and boughs of fruit. Room to right has
painted bolection moulded panelling throughout, similar doors with
H-hinges and a simple contemporary plaster ceiling. Main 3-bay room
upstairs has similar unpainted panelling throughout and good
overmantel with arms of Sir Hugh Calveley, carved lily leaves around
the bolection, hanging garlands of fruit and foliage to the sides and
carved acanthus in the pulvinated frieze. Contemporary doors. Room
beyond, only has a panelled dado and a frieze with panels for
tapestries, now removed.
Listing NGR: SJ4544158575
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings