History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Chad

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farndon, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0841 / 53°5'2"N

Longitude: -2.8775 / 2°52'38"W

OS Eastings: 341323

OS Northings: 354452

OS Grid: SJ413544

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9PK8

Mapcode Global: WH88T.RRZ2

Entry Name: Church of St Chad

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279424

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403426

Location: Farndon, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Farndon

Built-Up Area: Farndon (Cheshire West and Chester)

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Farndon St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Farndon

Listing Text

SJ 45 SW FARNDON C.P. CHURCH ROAD


2/28 Church of St. Chad.

1/3/67

- II*

Church: C14 west tower; aisled 5-bay nave of 1660; chancel of 1660;
north porch early C18; south transept C19. Coursed red sandstone with
grey slate roofs. 3-stage tower has diagonal west buttresses, square
east buttresses, square south-east turret; west door, inserted
panel-traceried west window, 2-light reticulated bell-openings with a
lancet above and a plain crenellated parapet. The aisles have
square-headed windows with 4 round-headed lights; clerestorey has
5-light mullioned windows; east window has a curious arrangement of
panel tracery; north porch has rusticated front with round-arched
classical entrance, probably C18.
Interior: Arcades of slim circular columns with plain caps carrying
chamfered arches. Aisles under lean-to roofs. South transept is the
Barnston chapel, with many C19 memorials and containing C17 glass in
east window (Dutch influence) reset in 1894, depicting Richard
Grosvenor, Sir William Mainwaring, William Barnston, Sir Francis
Gamul, all royalists, and pikemen and trophies of war. Recumbent
effigy of knight in north aisle. Late C19 and C20 memorial glass.
Tables of benefactors dated 1679 in north aisle and dated 1786 in
tower.


Listing NGR: SJ4132354452

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.