This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0845 / 53°5'4"N
Longitude: -2.8774 / 2°52'38"W
OS Eastings: 341325
OS Northings: 354499
OS Grid: SJ413544
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9PK3
Mapcode Global: WH88T.RQZQ
Entry Name: Farndon War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438604
Location: Farndon, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Farndon
Built-Up Area: Farndon (Cheshire West and Chester)
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Farndon St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Chester
First World War memorial unveiled on 2 November 1919 with further additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a circa 5m tall Celtic-style wheel-head cross with interlace detailing in relief, which is set upon a tapering chamfered shaft. The shaft stands upon a rectangular plinth with a chamfered base on the east facing side of which the names of 18 men who served in the First World War are incised into the stone.
The plinth is set upon a three-stepped rectangular base.
The inscription is centrally inscribed on the riser of the top step and reads IN PERPETUAL MEMORY OF THESE / MEN WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY. Inscribed upon the second step below this is the date, separated by a cross, 1914 + 1919.
The names of five men who served in the Second World War were later added to the south facing side of the plinth, with the inscription 1939 + 1945 added to the riser of the second step directly beneath.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Farndon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
£2,000 was raised by public subscription to fund the memorial cross and a commemorative public hall, £1,300 of which had been promised within eight weeks of the initial public meeting, held on 31 January 1919. The memorial was unveiled on 2 November 1919 by Major Barnston MP and dedicated by the Rev Alfred Bailey. It was reported that ‘every seat in the church was full and the great congregation followed a simple service with devout attention'. Whilst the sculptor of the memorial is at present unknown, the design of Farndon War Memorial is almost identical to that of the Bickerton memorial, executed by Haswell and Sons of Kaleyards, Chester.
Following the Second World War, the names of five men who served in that conflict were added to the south facing side of the plinth, with the inscription 1939 + 1945 added to the second step directly beneath. Messrs Clegg of Chester carried out the later work, quoting £4 for the cutting of the inscription, and £4 10s 0d for the washing of the memorial in June 1947.
Farndon War Memorial, unveiled on 2 November 1919, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant wheel-head cross enriched with carved interlacing knot work;
* Group value: with the Church of St Chad (Grade II*) and table tombs in the churchyard (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings