This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.0838 / 50°5'1"N
Longitude: -5.2971 / 5°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 164229
OS Northings: 25620
OS Grid: SW642256
Mapcode National: GBR FX9G.GD3
Mapcode Global: VH139.45H2
Plus Code: 9C2P3PM3+G5
Entry Name: Stables, Attached Screen Walls and Barn South East of Penrose Manor House
Listing Date: 22 May 1972
Last Amended: 2 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385343
Location: Porthleven, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Porthleven
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Porthleven
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW62NW PENROSE HILL
631-1/1/209 Stables, attached screen walls and
22/05/72 barn south-east of Penrose Manor
(Formerly Listed as:
Stables at Penrose Manor)
Stables and attached barn. Pre-1788. For John Rogers. Barn
1833-34, extended 1841 and remodelled 1855. Killas rubble with
granite dressings; C20 scantle slate roof with central
bellcote with pyramidal slate roof. U-shaped plan stables plus
barn set back on the left built into the bank at the rear.
2 storeys; 2:1:2-bay central range with 2-window courtyard
returns. Probably mid C19 twelve-pane hornless sashes. Central
bay with side buttresses and broken forward and with
low-pitched gable with central oculus and pair of sashes over
elliptical-arched carriage doorway with C20 planked doors.
Left- and right-hand bays with blind windows except for
doorway on right with old planked door and 3-pane overlight.
Left-hand return courtyard elevation has 2 blind windows over
stable door and elliptical-arched carriage door; other return
similar but with 12-pane sashes to 1st-floor.
Rear of left-hand wing is an irregular 3-window range with mid
C19 hopper lights with vertical glazing bars and random panes
over horizontal-sliding vents plus window with margin panes
and coloured glass on the left; two 1st-floor loading doorways
and 2 ground-floor doorways including doorway to lean-to on
right spanned by chamfered oak lintel.
Barn front is 3 bays and symmetrical plus 1-bay 3-storey
extension on the right; original left-hand window with
vertical glazing bars and random panes, others with original
shutters, loading doorway (central to original front) over
wide doorway flanked by narrow doorways, all with planked and
ventilated doors. Extension on right has 12-pane fixed lights
to 1st floor over wide doorway and blocked doorway on right;
short flight of granite steps up left of wide doorway.
INTERIOR: shippon with C19 wooden stalls flanking central
cart/feed bay. Stalls retain tether chains and slate troughs
and cobbled floors with tiled drains.
Subsidiary features: rubble screen walls with hog-back granite
copings flanking left-hand wing of stables. Gateway left of
stables with square granite piers with round heads; wall
ramped up behind left-hand pier; other wall with rounded end
surmounted by later granite cap.
(National Trust Vernacular Buildings Survey: 1986-; Squires S:
Penrose Historic Survey: 1986-).
Listing NGR: SW6422925620
Other nearby listed buildings