History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenbank Cemetery Pair of Attached Mortuary Chapels

A Grade II Listed Building in Easton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4698 / 51°28'11"N

Longitude: -2.554 / 2°33'14"W

OS Eastings: 361618

OS Northings: 174677

OS Grid: ST616746

Mapcode National: GBR CKC.7Z

Mapcode Global: VH88N.PB54

Plus Code: 9C3VFC9W+WC

Entry Name: Greenbank Cemetery Pair of Attached Mortuary Chapels

Listing Date: 13 November 1989

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379660

Location: Bristol, BS5

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Easton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Eastville St Anne with St Mark and St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Description


BRISTOL

ST6174 GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville
901-1/38/1258 (North side (off))
13/11/89 Greenbank Cemetery: pair of attached
mortuary chapels
(Formerly Listed as:
GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville
Chapels at Greenbank Cemetery)

GV II

Pair of attached mortuary chapels. 1871. By Henry Masters.
Squared Pennant rubble with polychromatic limestone and
sandstone dressings and granite details, and slate roof with
striped pattern and decorative iron ridge.
Axial plan of 2 chapels linked by an open cloister with a
central tower. High Victorian Gothic Revival style. Alternate
red and white voussoirs to the arches; either side of the
tower are blocked lancet arches over low, shouldered openings,
with a central red column and crocketed capital. The tympanum
on the SW side has a carved tableau of Christ and the
disciples, and on the NE side the inscription GREENBANK/
CEMETERY/ OPENED 1871/ ENLARGED 1881; above are crocketed
flush gables with angel corbels at the eaves.
The base of the tower has a scalloped, weathered ashlar eaves
course, leading to an octagonal section with oculi at the top
and a weathered coping course; a timber spire was taken down
in 1952. Either side are open lancet arcades of 2 bays on grey
shafts with crocket capitals, ending in small cross-gabled
vestries with 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and a
ridge stack. The ends form 2 chapels, Church of England to the
S and Nonconformist to the N, which have apsidal bays either
side and an open porch in the ends.
The bays have 5 pointed gables containing traceried lancet
arches, with figures between; on the nave ridges are square,
leaded lanterns set on the angle, with a steep roof and iron
finial. The porches have encaustic tiles, a bench seat each
side and a 2-leaf lancet door with strap hinges. The open
entrances have paired red sandstone shafts beneath pointed
arches, and gablet kneelers to the coping above.
INTERIOR: open timber roofs on shafts with foliate corbels, 3
arched doorways on engaged shafts into the vestries, within a
grand relieving arch with inscribed texts, and an
encaustic-tiled floor.


Listing NGR: ST6161874677

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.