This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1937 / 52°11'37"N
Longitude: -1.7075 / 1°42'27"W
OS Eastings: 420088
OS Northings: 255086
OS Grid: SP200550
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.F3L
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C445
Plus Code: 9C4W57VR+FX
Entry Name: Public Library
Listing Date: 9 February 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366268
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2055SW HENLEY STREET
604-1/8/103 (North East side)
Town house, now public library. Late C15, restored and
extended 1901-2 by EG Holtom, and incorporating former
Technical School of 1899 by AS Flower. Timber-frame with
plaster infill on rubble base, and brick with ashlar
dressings; tile roofs with brick end and rear stacks.
2 storeys, 3-window range with 2-storey jettied and gabled
wing to left and 2-storey with attic, single-window range to
right. 3-window range has close studding, part to right is C20
and has recessed brick ground floor under jettied 1st floor.
All windows have leaded glazing. Ground floor has 6-light
wooden-mullioned window and ashlar double-chamfered-mullioned
windows of 4 and 3 lights; 1st floor has 3-light and two
4-light wooden-mullioned windows; rear stack and end stack;
foundation stone to right end.
Wing to left has square framing; entrance with C20 doors to
right of 8-light wooden-mullioned window with diagonally set
mullions; 1st floor has 2-light window with flanking single
lights and 3-light window above; arch-braces to tie beam.
Right end has jettied gabled attic, enriched barge-boards and
bressumers; entrance with 4-centred head and overlights,
battened door and strap hinges to left of window of 4 lights
with 4-centred heads; 1st-floor oriel window with, on coving,
1:5:1-light transomed window with side lights; 3-light attic
window has traceried lintel; end stack. Rear has single-storey
roughcast gabled wing and long brick wing to former technical
INTERIOR: ground floor has heavy chamfered beams and flat
joists; fireplace of brick and tile and pot hanger, ex-situ
carved frieze with vine trail. Rear wing with arch-braced
collar trusses. 1st floor has exposed roof trusses: wing has
tie-beam and collar truss with double-chamfered tie, braces
and wall posts, another infilled truss has collar; wind
braces. To right a bay with arch-braced tie beam and 2 collars
with struts; C20 two-bay roof has arch-braced collar truss
with king post and halved collar, double purlins with wind
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was to be demolished for the
building of a Carnegie library, but a campaign to save it, led
by the novelist Marie Corelli, was successful, the 1st example
of a local conservation campaign.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 36; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of
Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 49-50).
Listing NGR: SP2008855086
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings