History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fanhams Hall with Buildings on Courtyard (The Building Societies Staff College)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wareside, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8224 / 51°49'20"N

Longitude: -0.0114 / 0°0'41"W

OS Eastings: 537150

OS Northings: 215620

OS Grid: TL371156

Mapcode National: GBR KBF.PY6

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.RGB9

Plus Code: 9C3XRXCQ+XC

Entry Name: Fanhams Hall with Buildings on Courtyard (The Building Societies Staff College)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356050

Location: Wareside, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wareside

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ware Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in



(north side)
Fanhams Hall with buildings on courtyard (The Building Societies Staff College)
(Formerly listed under General)


Country house and outbuildings, now a staff college. Early C18
greatly enlarged and altered in 1898 - 1901 by W Wood Bethell for
Richard Benyon Croft. Bought by Westminster BAnk 1950, and
Building Societies Association 1971. E wall of 3-storeys brick
house of c1715 exposed only in interior courtyard (top floor
c1800). 3-windows wide with flat arches and aprons to windows
with moulded floor bands. Encased and extended as an irregular
3-storeys Jacobean style mansion, roughcast with stone dressings
and mullioned and transomed windows and bays. Steep red tile
roofs behind parapet. Projecting double height hall-range on N
with long-gallery over. The E entrance front has a 3-storeyed
central porch, and is of 8-bays. The W garden front has 3-bays
of 3-storeys, and the hall-wing to the left of 2-storeys, 2-bays
wide, projecting 5-bays forward. The courtyard facade is of 15
bays and 2-storeys. The courtyard entrance is by a round arch
with an ogee hood mould, flanked by twin 2-storey towers with
pyramid roofs. Single-storey cottages built on to retaining wall
and square towers stand at the angles. Exit from court by
archway under clock tower with refaced C18 one and a half storeys
Old Coach House attached. Circa 1965 bedroom wing in outer yard
(car park) not of special interest. Splendid contemporary
interiors in Arts and Crafts style with plasterwork by L A
Turner, stained glass by Morris and Co. in Library, oak panelling
and beamed ceilings, carved stone chimney pieces, and walnut
panelling of lounge inlaid with mother-of-pearl. Fine C18
staircase retained. 2 carved Venetian stone wellheads, one by
service door and one to N of main door. (Pevsner (1977) 382:
RCHM Typescript: papers at house).

Listing NGR: TL3715015620

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.