This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6758 / 50°40'32"N
Longitude: -3.3232 / 3°19'23"W
OS Eastings: 306602
OS Northings: 87068
OS Grid: SY066870
Mapcode National: GBR P6.M24X
Mapcode Global: FRA 37X9.557
Entry Name: The Belvedere Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281458
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86230
Location: Colaton Raleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Colaton Raleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Colaton Raleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 NE
3/29 The Belvedere including
11.11.52 boundary walls
Tower. Circa 1840, according to Hoskins it was built by Louisa Lady Rolle as a
birthday gift to her husband. Stucco on stone rubble and brick, some Beerstone
detail; roof material unknown.
Tall octagonal tower, 3 storeys high, with square stair turret projecting from the
north-western side. Entrance on north-eastern side. Tudor Gothic style.
Tower has large battered plinth which continues round the porch and stair turret.
At the top is a moulded eaves cornice with an embattled parapet. The stair turret
rises a little higher with its own cornice and embattled parapet. All the windows
are rectangular with deep external splays. There are few ground floor windows, more
on the first floor but the second floor has windows on all sides. The larger are
mullion-and-transom, the smaller only transomed and have glazing bars. The second
floor windows have hoodmoulds with carved labels. The only first floor window with
a hoodmould is on the south-eastern side. The porch has a moulded eaves cornice and
embattled parapet. The doorway is a flat Tudor arch with a broad chamfered surround
at the top of a flight of steps. The door itself is boarded up at present. On the
opposite (south-western) side there is a service extension very like the porch. The
tower has an external doorway on is north-eastern side; another Tudor arch with a
Beerstone medallion over containing the Rolle arms.
Interior not inspected.
The tower stands on a small octagonal terrace fenced in by low walls with embattled
parapet. They are built of local conglomerate stone rubble with weathered coping.
The entrance on the north-east side has granite steps.
Hoskins calls this the China Tower since it originally housed a magnificent
collection of china from all over the world. It is set in a game wood and obviously
serves as a wonderful watch tower. It also provides a landscape feature from Bicton
Source: W G Hoskins, Devon, (1954) p.335.
Listing NGR: SY0660287068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings