History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forge Approximately 50 Metres North East of Bicton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Colaton Raleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6711 / 50°40'15"N

Longitude: -3.3181 / 3°19'5"W

OS Eastings: 306954

OS Northings: 86544

OS Grid: SY069865

Mapcode National: GBR P6.MHJJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37Y9.F52

Entry Name: Forge Approximately 50 Metres North East of Bicton House

Listing Date: 10 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86232

Location: Colaton Raleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX9

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Colaton Raleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: East Budleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Colaton Raleigh

Listing Text

COLATON RALEIGH BICTON PARK
ST 08 NE
3/33 Forge approximately 50m north-
- east of Bicton House
GV II
Forge, now used as a classroom. Probably circa 1800, enlarged later in C19,
converted to a classroom circa 1945. Flemish bond red brick on stone rubble
footings; slate roof.
Single storey block with main front on south end which is flanked by projecting
small rooms. The rear (northern) end is an extension.
The south end contains a large round-headed archway and has a plat band at impost
level. Eaves cornice comprising dentils made by brick headers and roof is hipped.
The rooms each side are recessed slightly from the main front. Each contains a
round-headed window and that containing a grille to right is the oldest. Both rooms
have hipped roofs. The right (eastern) side has a 4-window front interrupted by 2
doorways. Only the left-hand window with its low segmental arch over is original.
Above it is a series of ventilators or pigeon holes made by missing out the brick
headers.
The section to right is in a different brick but built in the same style. The
windows and doors are C20. A board set high near the right end has the following
notice painted on:- "The SMITHS employed in this shop are ordered to shoe no Horses
and to do no work for any strangers whatever or they will be discharged". The roof
this end is hipped.
Interior shows only C20 detail from the conversion of the building to a classroom.
Roof not inspected.


Listing NGR: SY0695486544

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.