History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maiden Well

A Grade II Listed Building in Fortuneswell, Dorset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5595 / 50°33'34"N

Longitude: -2.4459 / 2°26'45"W

OS Eastings: 368514

OS Northings: 73394

OS Grid: SY685733

Mapcode National: GBR PY.HZHL

Mapcode Global: FRA 57RL.BXZ

Entry Name: Maiden Well

Listing Date: 17 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281862

English Heritage Legacy ID: 381975

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Civil Parish: Portland

Built-Up Area: Fortuneswell

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Castletown

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY6873 HIGH STREET, Fortuneswell
969-1/3/115 (North side)
Maiden Well

II

Remains of boundary wall and well head or cistern. Probably
C18. A small square construction in rough squared Portland
block set at the side of High Street opposite the right hand
boundary to The Captain's House (qv). About 2m x 1.7m x 1.5m
high, with stone slab top; behind this remains of stone block
wall rises 6 courses above bank for c 8m width, stepped at S
end. This looks rather like a mounting block, but is the
remains of one of the water sources which were so important to
the Island until the bringing of piped water in 1900. None of
the formal well heads has survived, so that this modest
remnant has historical interest.


Listing NGR: SY6851473394

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


PORTLAND

SY6873 HIGH STREET, Fortuneswell
969-1/3/115 (North side)
Maiden Well

II

Remains of boundary wall and well head or cistern. Probably
C18. A small square construction in rough squared Portland
block set at the side of High Street opposite the right hand
boundary to The Captain's House (qv). About 2m x 1.7m x 1.5m
high, with stone slab top; behind this remains of stone block
wall rises 6 courses above bank for c 8m width, stepped at S
end. This looks rather like a mounting block, but is the
remains of one of the water sources which were so important to
the Island until the bringing of piped water in 1900. None of
the formal well heads has survived, so that this modest
remnant has historical interest.


Listing NGR: SY6851473394

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.