History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windmill at Ngr Sy 69077128

A Grade II Listed Building in Portland, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5406 / 50°32'26"N

Longitude: -2.4362 / 2°26'10"W

OS Eastings: 369185

OS Northings: 71295

OS Grid: SY691712

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.425Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 57SM.NQW

Entry Name: Windmill at Ngr Sy 69077128

Listing Date: 21 September 1978

Last Amended: 17 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281885

English Heritage Legacy ID: 381890

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Civil Parish: Portland

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Portland

Listing Text

SY6871
969-1/4/26
21/09/78

PORTLAND
EASTON
Windmill at NGR SY 69077128
(Formerly Listed as:
EASTON
Windmill about 980 yds south-east of St Georges Reforne)

II

Remains of former windmill. Probably C17. Rough coursed
rubble, roofless. Cylindrical shaft, slightly tapered, c 4m
diameter and c 7m high. Sundry openings at three levels,
mostly with flush single stone quoins, lintols and weathered
cills to small upright rectangular lights. Blocked door to SE
side, and door opening to NE to slight basket-arch head. An
inserted concrete floor slab on corrugated shuttering probably
from World War Two. One of two remaining disused windmills on
the island, shown on the Hutchins map of 1710.
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 253).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SY6871
969-1/4/26
21/09/78

PORTLAND
EASTON
Windmill at NGR SY 69077128
(Formerly Listed as:
EASTON
Windmill about 980 yds south-east of St Georges Reforne)

II

Remains of former windmill. Probably C17. Rough coursed
rubble, roofless. Cylindrical shaft, slightly tapered, c 4m
diameter and c 7m high. Sundry openings at three levels,
mostly with flush single stone quoins, lintols and weathered
cills to small upright rectangular lights. Blocked door to SE
side, and door opening to NE to slight basket-arch head. An
inserted concrete floor slab on corrugated shuttering probably
from World War Two. One of two remaining disused windmills on
the island, shown on the Hutchins map of 1710.
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 253).

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.