History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls, Gate Piers, Gates and Railings to Merefield House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crewkerne, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8854 / 50°53'7"N

Longitude: -2.7935 / 2°47'36"W

OS Eastings: 344280

OS Northings: 109842

OS Grid: ST442098

Mapcode National: GBR MG.SG43

Mapcode Global: FRA 561R.MK3

Entry Name: Walls, Gate Piers, Gates and Railings to Merefield House

Listing Date: 12 June 1950

Last Amended: 6 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390352

Location: Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Crewkerne

Built-Up Area: Crewkerne

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Crewkerne

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Crewkerne

Listing Text


CREWKERNE

ST4409 EAST STREET
876-1/7/74 (North side)
12/06/50 Walls, gate piers, gates and
railings to Merefield House.
(Formerly Listed as:
EAST STREET
(North side)
Gates, railings & walls to grounds,
& summerhouse to grounds of
Merefield House)

GV II*

Walls, gate piers, gates and railings. Late C17 and c1840.
Limestone rubble walls, Ham Hill stone gate piers and plinths,
and wrought-iron gates and railings. A full-height gate with
elaborate overthrow bearing gilded heraldic arms above a lion
face and leaves with florettes, has side-panels supported by
gate piers with raised-and-fielded panels, moulded cornices
and vases to the caps; there is a similar one to the left, and
taller c1840, ones to a carriage entrance to the right. These
have recessed panels similar to the aprons below the windows
of the house, pineapple finials and C20 double gates. A
coursed Ham Hill rubblestone plinth with a moulded coping,
supports c1840 spearhead railings which sweep up to the gate
piers at the centre. High limestone rubble walls extend approx
30m to each side. The arms on the gates (Merefield quartered
with Williams and Colson) date them, acccording to family
history, as late C17.
(Pullman GPR: The Book of the Axe: Kingsmead Reprints Bath:
1875-1969: P.312).


Listing NGR: ST4428009842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.