This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4558 / 51°27'20"N
Longitude: -2.5941 / 2°35'38"W
OS Eastings: 358818
OS Northings: 173143
OS Grid: ST588731
Mapcode National: GBR C8J.8Z
Mapcode Global: VH88M.ZNGW
Plus Code: 9C3VFC44+89
Entry Name: Merchant Tailors' Hall
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380657
Location: Bristol, BS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SE TAYLOR'S COURT, Centre
901-1/11/679 (North side)
08/01/59 Merchant Tailors' Hall
Guild meeting hall, now offices. 1740-1, converted c1950.
Rendered limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Single-depth
Great Hall and right-hand stair block. Early Georgian style.
3 storey; 7-window range. A 2-window right-hand service block
set forward, Great Hall to the left with raised basement to a
plat band, and a moulded coping ramped up to the left; the
right-hand entrance has a fine late C17 shell hood with
painted Arms of the guild with flanking winged cupids and a
head of John the Baptist, on acanthus brackets, pulvinated
frieze and architrave to double 6-panel doors. Plain surrounds
to square basement windows, with entrances at each end,
separated by angled coach bollards; windows have architraves
and pulvinated friezes, cornices to the right-hand section
with 9/9-pane sashes and a small 6-pane window over the door,
and alternate segmental and triangular pediments to tall
20/20-pane sashes to 2-storey windows on the Great Hall. Thick
glazing bars. In the re-entrant is a conical lead hopper and
INTERIOR: entrance hall with panelled wainscot to a
ground-floor room with full panelling to 2 walls, and a dogleg
stair with uncut string and column balusters and moulded rail;
the former hall has an inserted C20 floor, with a rear
bolection-moulded fire surround with Bristol Delft tiled back
and panelled overmantel to a cornice; bolection-moulded
architraves. It formerly had double doors from the N end
beneath a musicians' gallery, high panelled dado and deep
coved ceiling. Now connected internally with No.41 Broad
Street (qv). Ison suggests the hood may be older and may have
come from the C17 hall which it replaced. The court in front
is flagged with Pennant cobbles, and forms an important part
of the historic setting.
(Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 95).
Listing NGR: ST5881873143
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.