This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4557 / 51°27'20"N
Longitude: -2.5942 / 2°35'39"W
OS Eastings: 358806
OS Northings: 173132
OS Grid: ST588731
Mapcode National: GBR C8K.71
Mapcode Global: VH88M.ZNDY
Entry Name: 41, Broad Street
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202019
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379010
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre
901-1/11/528 (North East side)
Attached house, now office. C17, largely refronted c1760,
extended 1881 by JH Hirst. Brick with limestone dressings
front, brick lateral stacks and pantile double-pile roof,
timber-framed to the right-hand bay. Double-depth plan. Mid
3 storeys and basement; 6-window range. 3 sections each set
back to the right, with a plat band, cornice and parapet;
3:2:1 windows, the right-hand section with a C17 roof, refaced
C19, with 2 windows on the ground-floor. Third doorway from
left has a Gibbs surround and split key, 3-pane overlight,
fluted transom and 6-panel door, the top 4 raised; 5 stepped
voussoirs, deeper on the ground floor to the right 6/6-pane
sashes, 3/3-pane casements on the second floor, flush frames,
reveals to the middle section, and a low plinth which rises
into a semicircular-arched basement opening to the right of
the door. The left-hand return is rendered with a brick attic
and 2 lateral stacks, two 4/4-pane ground-floor sashes and a
single 6/6-pane sash above and a small attic casement. By the
front corner, a cast-iron street name inscribed JOHN STREET.
INTERIOR: C17 roof with roughly-hewn trusses with trenched
purlins, and wind braces to the rear. C18 entrance hall with
panelled wainscot to a semicircular-arched doorway with
pilasters and fanlight, central rear dogleg stair with uncut
string, column balusters and newels, and moulded rail; a
semicircular-arched vaulted passage to the rear from John
Lane; second-floor front room has 2-panel cupboards flanking
the fireplace with HL hinges; panelled shutters and doors.
Connected internally to Merchant Tailor's Hall (qv).
(Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or
Historic Interest: 9).
Listing NGR: ST5881573138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings