History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel Row and Attached Front Area Walls, Piers and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4507 / 51°27'2"N

Longitude: -2.6208 / 2°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 356959

OS Northings: 172591

OS Grid: ST569725

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.9T

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSCS

Entry Name: Chapel Row and Attached Front Area Walls, Piers and Railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282229

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379807

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


901-1/13/1442 (South East side)
08/01/59 No.264
Chapel Row and attached front area
walls, piers and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Chapel Row)


Attached house. 1725-27. By George Tully. Brick with limestone
dressings, brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-depth
roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys and
basement; 3-window range.
Articulated by rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping,
with moulded strings to each floor running over the pilasters.
Right-hand doorway has scrolled brackets to a pediment, a
moulded frame, 3-pane overlight and 8-panel door. Lintels with
rusticated voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames,
taller on the first floor; single hipped dormer. Left-hand
steps down to basement door set in semicircular arch. Rear
elevation has a full-height hipped projection across the party
wall with No.262 (qv), a central 8/8-pane stair sash, and a
tall half dormer set back with a 6/6-pane sash. INTERIOR not
inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area brick
walls and capped, banded piers to spear-headed cast-iron
railings and gates with urn finials. Part of the Dowry Square
development laid out by Tully from 1720.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 103; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Listing NGR: ST5695972591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.