History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 1 and Attached Front Basement Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4509 / 51°27'3"N

Longitude: -2.6206 / 2°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 356968

OS Northings: 172615

OS Grid: ST569726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.BR

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSFM

Entry Name: Number 1 and Attached Front Basement Railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379524

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1418 (West side)
08/01/59 No.1
and attached front basement railings
(Formerly Listed as:
DOWRY SQUARE
No.1)

GV II

Attached house. c1730. Render with limestone dressings, party
wall stacks and a pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan.
Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window
range. Rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping;
right-hand doorway with 3-panelled jambs, reeded transom,
brackets to a dentil pediment, batswing fanlight and 6-panel
door. Lintels with rusticated voussoirs to 9/9-pane sashes in
flush frames, 2 symmetrically-placed ground-floor sashes;
single hipped dormer. The right return has a C18 shop window
with 18-pane window and cornice, two 9/9-pane first-floor
sashes and a single 6/6-pane sash. INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front area railings
and gate with urn finials, and Pennant piers. Dowry Square was
laid out by George Tully in 1720, and building continued until
1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window
ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various
designs.
(Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).


Listing NGR: ST5696872615

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.