History in Structure

32-44 Caledonia Place and attached front basement area cast-iron railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4547 / 51°27'17"N

Longitude: -2.6213 / 2°37'16"W

OS Eastings: 356923

OS Northings: 173043

OS Grid: ST569730

Mapcode National: GBR C2K.5C

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JP2P

Plus Code: 9C3VF93H+VF

Entry Name: 32-44 Caledonia Place and attached front basement area cast-iron railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379052

Also known as: Numbers 32 to 44 and attached front basement area cast iron railings

ID on this website: 101282372

Location: Hotwells, Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Terrace of houses

Find accommodation in



CALEDONIA PLACE (south east side)
Nos.32-44 (Consecutive) and attached front basement area cast-iron railings

(Formerly Listed as: CALEDONIA PLACE Nos.32-44 (Consecutive))


Terrace of 13 houses. 1788. Probably by John Eveleigh. Altered 1922. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and slate mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of three storeys, attic and basement; three-window range.

A composed terrace originally with end and middle houses set forward with pediments, first-floor sill bands, and pediments over the central first-floor windows; articulated by pilaster strips to a cornice and parapet, and rusticated ground floor to a plat band. Outer doorways have panelled pilasters, entablature blocks with foliate medallions, open pediments, semicircular-arched doorways, Nos 32-37 with stellate fanlights, plate glass the rest, and six-panel doors with upper four raised. Incised voussoirs and tall key to the ground-floor windows, with 6/6-pane and 3/6-pane second-floor sashes; two dormers. No.32 has had the pediment removed. The left-hand end pair rebuilt as one in 1922 to form a bank: ground-floor frieze of festoons and cornice carried round to the return, with a bowed porch with two pairs of Temple of the Winds capitals and a two-leaf door, and in the return an arcade of three large semicircular-arched windows each with attached columns, moulded archivolts and volute keys, plinths and aprons with volutes to Greek key cills, a wide panel above, and four plain second-floor windows separated by a square panel with oak leaf wreath and monogram NUP 1922. Flaming urns to the corners.

INTERIOR not inspected, but see Nos 1-13 The Mall (qv).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front basement area railings and gates with bud heads.

Forms an important group with the matching Nos 1-13 West Mall opposite (qv) and, with Nos 14-34 West Mall and 1-35 Caledonia Place (qv), a very good, and for Clifton uniquely formal, square.

Listing NGR: ST5693673046

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.