This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4551 / 51°27'18"N
Longitude: -2.6208 / 2°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 356961
OS Northings: 173082
OS Grid: ST569730
Mapcode National: GBR C2K.97
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JPBD
Plus Code: 9C3VF94H+2M
Entry Name: Numbers 18 and 20 Including Part of Number 22
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209873
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380683
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5673SE THE MALL, Clifton
901-1/7/1060 (North East side)
08/01/59 Nos.18 AND 20
including part of No.22
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.18, 20 AND 24-28 (Even))
Part of assembly rooms, now pair of attached houses and shops.
1806-9. By Francis Greenway. Interior by Joseph Kay. Altered
1860 by JH Hirst. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and
slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys; 8-window range. 1860 ashlar shop fronts project
beneath plain 1809 upper floors with 1:2:2:3 windows; the
second and fourth sections are broken forward, a shallow bow
to the latter, with a thin cornice to the left and a deeper
one to the bow.
2 matching shop fronts have left-hand doorways in shallow
recesses with pilasters and semicircular arches with tall
keys, slate spandrels and doors set back, that to No.18 with
paired 6-panel doors beneath two 6/6-pane sashes. Right-hand
shallow canted bays have slender cast-iron columns with small
foliate capitals to 3 moulded semicircular arches with
elaborate carved keys and spandrels with flowers, and
plate-glass windows; dentil cornice and parapet with pierced
sections over the windows of small semicircles. The bow has
2/2-pane sashes, 6/6-pane sashes to the left, and 3/3-pane
second-floor sashes. Rear elevation has late C19 first-floor
window with stained glass leaded lights.
INTERIOR: No.20 has an arcade of 4 semicircular arches with
columns as the front, cornice all round and a coved ceiling.
No.18 has a deep balcony across rear of ground floor with a
wrought-iron railing. Part of the first floor is included in
No.22, The Clifton Club (qv).
Originally the right-hand wing of the Assembly Rooms,
consisting of a pair of houses with rusticated basements as
No.22 (qv), and doorways in the recessed sections.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 218; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 132).
Listing NGR: ST5696173082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings