History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arley Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cotham, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4661 / 51°27'58"N

Longitude: -2.591 / 2°35'27"W

OS Eastings: 359040

OS Northings: 174295

OS Grid: ST590742

Mapcode National: GBR C8F.Y8

Mapcode Global: VH88N.1DLX

Plus Code: 9C3VFC85+FH

Entry Name: Arley Chapel

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378844

Location: Cotham, Bristol, BS6

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Cotham

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Matthew and St Nathanael

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Description


BRISTOL

ST5974 ARLEY HILL, Cotham
901-1/36/1155 (North East side)
04/03/77 Arley Chapel

II

Congregational chapel, now Polish Roman Catholic church. 1855.
By Foster and Wood. Coursed Pennant rubble with limestone
dressings, slate roof and leaded dome. Apsidal cruciform plan.
Italianate style.
A segmentally-curved portico to the W front has Corinthian
columns to an entablature with a dentil cornice; in between
are semicircular arches with volute keys on square responds,
and curved Pennant steps at the base.
The pedimented W gable has clasping rusticated pilaster
strips, a doorway beneath the portico with moulded architrave
and panelled door flanked by narrow windows, and above the
portico a dentil pediment over an oculus with 4 round lights;
above the pediment is a square tower to a large, domed cupola,
with chamfered corners and 3 narrow louvred arches to each
face, the cornice raised over clock faces to each side, and a
cyma dome with finial. The entablature of the portico extends
on pilasters for one quadrant bay each side to the aisles, and
the arch between the pilasters containing a shoulder-arch
doorway below 2 semicircular-arched windows.
Pedimented N transept gable has rusticated pilasters and a
Doric Venetian window, the central arch of which breaks the
cornice of the pediment, and with brackets below on a sill
band which runs along the 6-bay N aisle beneath stilted
semicircular-arched windows with plain architraves and moulded
imposts; a narrow clerestory of linked round windows. S
elevation as N. INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 2-storey annex to the E end has 3-window
range of semicircular-arched windows, a pronounced impost band
and clasping pilasters.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 384).


Listing NGR: ST5904074295

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.