History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prospect House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilston, City of Wolverhampton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.568 / 52°34'4"N

Longitude: -2.0734 / 2°4'24"W

OS Eastings: 395123

OS Northings: 296684

OS Grid: SO951966

Mapcode National: GBR 1SR.8V

Mapcode Global: WHBG0.3QY6

Entry Name: Prospect House

Listing Date: 31 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378496

Location: Wolverhampton, WV14

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Bilston East

Built-Up Area: Bilston

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Bilston St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bilston

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9596 MOUNT PLEASANT, Bilston
895-1/15/21 (North West side)
No.34
Prospect House

II

Office of Wolverhampton District Electric Tramways Ltd, now
office. 1902. Brick with terracotta dressings; parapetted
roof. Right-angle plan. 2 storeys, gable facing. Plinth; brick
frieze and dentilled terracotta cornice over ground floor; top
terracotta frieze, cornice and terracotta-coped brick ramped
parapet and gable with keyed roundel; rusticated end pilasters
with scroll tops. Windows have rusticated jambs and sashes
with small-paned upper sashes; ground floor has
segmental-headed window with imposts and keystone; 1st floor
has tripartite window; segmental-headed entrance has
rusticated jambs and brick rusticated cambered arch, overlight
and 6-panel door; frieze over ground floor has panel with
initials: WDET and wheel within magnet. Right return similar;
entrance and 1st floor tripartite window and flanking windows.
Wolverhampton District Tramways Ltd electrified the existing
horse tramway routes in the area; the site comprised the
offices, a transformer station (the existing but much altered
building to the left), and the repair and paint shops,
(demolished). The depot was converted for the use of trolley
buses, 1928-30, and closed, 1965.
(Collins P: Notes on buildings of interest in Wolverhampton:
1990-).


Listing NGR: SO9512396684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.