History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Heath Town, City of Wolverhampton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5962 / 52°35'46"N

Longitude: -2.103 / 2°6'10"W

OS Eastings: 393121

OS Northings: 299830

OS Grid: SO931998

Mapcode National: GBR 1KF.SQ

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.N0SH

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378370

Location: Wolverhampton, WV10

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Heath Town

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Heath Town Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW CHURCH STREET, Heathtown
895-1/5/69 (West side)
Church of Holy Trinity

GV II

Church. 1849-52. By Edward Banks. Sandstone ashlar with tile
roofs. Nave with lean-to aisles, south west steeple and north
porch; chancel and north vestry. Decorated Gothic style.
Weathered buttresses; sill courses; coped gables with crosses.
3-bay chancel has 5-light east window and 3-light windows to
north and south; buttresses have traceried gablets. Vestry
under catslide roof has gabled bay with end stack; 3
ogee-headed lights to east, 2-light window to north, and
pointed entrance. Nave has 6-bay clerestory with paired
pointed lights between flat buttresses; 4-light west window,
buttress to left has beast corbels; aisles have 2-light
windows with head stops to hoods; 3-light south aisle east and
north aisle west windows; gabled north porch has entrance of
one order with foliate capitals; return lights. 3-stage tower
has setback buttresses; gabled south entrance of 3 orders,
Tudor and ball flower, headstops to hood, applied tracery to
door; 3-light west window with reticulated tracery; stair
lights to filled-in angles of buttress to left; lancets to 2nd
stage; 3rd stage recessed with pilaster buttresses and corbel
table; 2-light triple-chamfered bell openings, head stops;
broach spire has clock faces and 2 tiers of lucarnes.
INTERIOR: deep-arch-braced roofs on wall shafts; organ loft to
north of chancel; chancel arch on shafts; nave arcades on
quatrefoil piers; rich arcaded reredos; open traceried chancel
screen, 1902; stone pulpit and octagonal font. Wall memorials,
include that to Anne Jenks (d.1917), portrait in aedicule;
encaustic tiles to chancel and encaustic memorial tiles to
nave; glass to chancel and some to aisles.
A well-proportioned example of an Ecclesiological church with
good interior features.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.321).

Listing NGR: SO9312199830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.