This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5948 / 52°35'41"N
Longitude: -2.1038 / 2°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 393068
OS Northings: 299676
OS Grid: SO930996
Mapcode National: GBR 1KG.M6
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.N1FK
Plus Code: 9C4VHVVW+WF
Entry Name: Heath Town Public Baths and Library
Listing Date: 14 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484638
Location: Wolverhampton, WV10
County: City of Wolverhampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Heath Town
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Heath Town Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO 99 NW TUDOR ROAD
895-1/5/10037 Heath Town
14-SEP-00 (West side)
Heath Town Public Baths and Library
Public baths and library. 1930-31; by H.B. Robinson, Borough Surveyor and Engineer. Pink and orange fletton bricks with moulded concrete dressings. Corrugated asbestos roofs.
PLAN: Library on first floor across the front with loggia below with central entrance to vestibule of swimming baths; main bath at centre with childrens' baths on north side and public wash-house on the south side; wash-house converted into a gymnasium.
Free Classical style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys 1:1:5:1:1 bay east front; centre five bays have arcaded loggia with moulded concrete arches and piers and central doorway with broad bolection moulded concrete architrave with arms above flanked by volutes; 3-light concrete mullion windows above with leaded panes and large multi-pane wooden windows set back within loggia on ground floor; projecting bays left and right with broad bolection moulded architraves to library doors with panels above with volutes either side; panelled double doors; concrete parapet with plain medallions. Porches to childrens' baths and public wash-house on north and south sides. Rear [W] has wide gable end of main baths with large 3-light segmantal-headed window and raised apex to clerestorey.
INTERIOR: Entrance vestibule to baths has glazed wall tiles and glazed screen to kiosk with leaded panes; main baths has changing cubicles either side, glazed tile lavatories at west end and reinforced concrete parabolic arch roof. Childrens' bath has later flat roof. Public wash-house converted to gymnasium. Library has stairs with iron balustrades, glazed screens and a panelled desk.
Listing NGR: SO9306899676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings