This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5692 / 52°34'8"N
Longitude: -2.116 / 2°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 392234
OS Northings: 296821
OS Grid: SO922968
Mapcode National: GBR 1GR.YD
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.GPL8
Plus Code: 9C4VHV9M+MJ
Entry Name: Church of St Martin and Attached Cloister and Vicarage
Listing Date: 31 March 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378399
Location: Wolverhampton, WV2
County: City of Wolverhampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Ettingshall
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Wolverhampton St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO99NW DIXON STREET
895-1/5/65 (South side)
Church of St Martin and attached
cloister and Vicarage
Church, cloister and vicarage. 1938-9. By Lavender and
Twentyman. Brick with pantile roofs. 2-bay chancel with north
vestry and south chapel; 6-bay nave with low aisles. Plain
coped gables and parapets; narrow round-headed lights. Chancel
has narrower and lower east bay with raised-brick cross to
east; returns have triple east and paired west lights; aisles
have 4-light chamfered-brick-mullioned windows and
round-headed entrances to east; clerestory has paired lights;
west front has round-headed entrance with splayed reveals and
stepped arch, diagonally boarded paired doors; statue of St
Martin with broken sword by Donald Potter above; 4 louvred
bell openings, with single ones to returns; aisles break
forward with small windows; entrance under arcading to north
INTERIOR: plain round sanctuary arch and panelled ceiling;
square-headed sedilia and piscina to south; tall east recess
with canopy and curtain; nave and choir have ceiling on plain
beams; choir has 3-bay square-headed openings to north and
south with rounded piers; nave has plain round-arched arcades
and tall tower arch with panelled infill with paired doors and
grille above. Sanctuary has walnut joinery (oak elsewhere):
altar with square panels and altar rail with castellated
supports; stalls have plain fronts; square-panelled pulpit
with Agnus Dei; chapel has square-panelled sanctuary; altar
and rails; nave has timber lamp brackets each with 3 hanging
lamps. Cloister to south west has 3-bay round arcades and
plain parapets; iron gates to rear. Vicarage: right-angle
plan, short wing to north; 2 storeys; hipped roof and brick
cross-axial stacks and windows with casements; entrances to
return of north wing and to cloister.
A good example of a mid C20 church which groups well with
contemporary vicarage and conecting cloister.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.322; Incorporated Church Building Society: Fifty
Modern Churches: London: 1947-: P.28-31).
Listing NGR: SO9223496821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings