This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5717 / 52°34'18"N
Longitude: -2.1308 / 2°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 391232
OS Northings: 297104
OS Grid: SO912971
Mapcode National: GBR 1CQ.QH
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.7MLB
Plus Code: 9C4VHVC9+MM
Entry Name: Automotive House
Listing Date: 22 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435695
Location: Blakenhall, Wolverhampton, WV2
Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenhall
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Wolverhampton St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO 99 NW WOLVERHAMPTON UPPER VILLIERS STREET
895-1/5/10010 Automotive House
Car factory , now works, and empty at the time of inspection. 1905-6, with minor late C20 alterations. By Joseph Lavender, F.R.I.B.A., for the Sunbeam Motor Car Company, and incorporating the site of the first workshop in which a Sunbeam motor car was produced.
Red brick with painted dressings beneath a Welsh-slated roof 3-storey street frontage office and showroom range, with 4 bay single storey north-light workshop range behind.
North-west elevation; 3 storeys, 11 bays, with 3-bay central entry defined by full-height pilasters, the centre bay with a diminutive pediment, and slightly advanced. Double doorway with panelled doors below keyed semi-circular head, all beneath a segmental pediment. The bays either side of the doorway each have a 3-light window, originally comprised of 3 sash windows, some now altered, beneath a segmental brick arch with an advanced keyblock which links with a sloping string course. Above, at first and second floor levels are coupled sash windows with sma1l-paned upper sashes. This pattern is repeated in each of the 2 bays flanking the entrance bays. The 2 bays at either end of the frontage range sit beneath a broad coped gable with a keyed semi circular arched window above the window head cornice, matching that of the entrance bay. The north-east end bay has full height double doors which formerly led into a covered yard. 4 bays of north light sheds to rear with strutted trusses supporting a ridge beam. Strutted king post trusses to 3-storey range. Original plans and elevations, signed by the architect and dated 31 Jan. 1905 survive. Automotive House was the first purpose-built works of the Sunbeam Motor Car Company, and one of the earliest car factories in England.
Listing NGR: SO9123297104
Other nearby listed buildings