This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5723 / 52°34'20"N
Longitude: -2.1295 / 2°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 391321
OS Northings: 297172
OS Grid: SO913971
Mapcode National: GBR 1DQ.08
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.8L6V
Plus Code: 9C4VHVCC+W6
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 31 March 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378611
Location: Wolverhampton, WV2
Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenhall
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Wolverhampton St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO99NW UPPER VILLIERS STREET
895-1/5/39 (East side)
Church of St Luke
Church. 1860-1. By G.T. Robinson of Leamington. Red brick with
buff brick, blue brick and ashlar dressings; slate roofs.
Apsed chancel with north chapel and vestry, and south organ
loft; aisled nave with narthex and south west steeple. Roguish
Gothic Revival style. Chancel has brick and ashlar banding;
gabled buttresses to angles; pointed windows have decorative
brick hoods and ashlar lintel bands, coped gables over. Organ
loft is gabled with stepped triplet of lancets on slender iron
colonnettes and angle buttresses; chapel similar, with gabled
vestry to east, 2-light window and spherical diamond window.
Nave has coped gables with crosses; 3 gabled spherical
triangle clerestory windows to each side; 6-bay aisles have
cornices and paired lancets on stone colonnettes between
buttresses. West lean-to narthex has arcading on iron columns
paired in depth; gabled entrance with iron shafts, relief of
Journey to Emmaus to tympanum; 2 west windows of 2 lights with
roundel above, flying buttress to left. 4-stage tower has
brick and ashlar banding; angle buttresses and round south
east turret with conical roof; south entrance with gablet on
iron columns, relief of St Luke over trumeau; paired lancets
to west, and to 2nd stage; 3rd stage has triple bell openings
over corbelled frieze; cornice; weathered base to octagonal
top stage; lancets with inserted clock faces and top frieze;
slate spire with narrow lucarnes.
INTERIOR: panelled chancel scissor-truss roof; 3-bay arcades
on iron columns with rich traceried parclose screens, now
glazed; nave has 6-bay arcades on iron columns paired
longitudinally with trumpet capitals, polychrome arches; deep
arch-braced scissor truss roof; tripartite chancel arch and
paired arches to chapel and organ loft; braced ties to aisle
roofs on carved corbels. Altar has rich arcading, reredos has
high relief of Last Supper; good stalls; pulpit on 3 shafts
has evangelists in niches; war memorial reredos to chapel;
octagonal font on one large and 4 small shafts; good C19 glass
to chancel; chapel has glass dated 1913.
A good design making use of polychrome and much use of
cast-iron, with some remarkable roguish detail.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SO9132197172
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings