History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prudential Assurance Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Coldhurst, Oldham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5405 / 53°32'25"N

Longitude: -2.1123 / 2°6'44"W

OS Eastings: 392657

OS Northings: 404877

OS Grid: SD926048

Mapcode National: GBR FWPH.HK

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.J8CM

Entry Name: Prudential Assurance Buildings

Listing Date: 23 January 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388950

Location: Oldham, OL1

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Coldhurst

Built-Up Area: Oldham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Oldham St Mary with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD9204NE UNION STREET
780-1/6/85 (North side)
23/01/73 Prudential Assurance Buildings

GV II

Office building. 1889. By Alfred Waterhouse. Brick with
terracotta dressings, and red plain tiled roof.
3 storeys raised over basement with attic. 3-window range with
recessed polygonal towers over entrances to each side.
Polished granite plinth and piers to round-arched entrance in
shallow projecting gabled porch.
3 wide round-arched windows to ground floor, each of 3 lights
with small upper panes. Raised lettering "Prudential Assurance
Buildings" over ground floor windows.
3-light mullioned and transomed windows above, with decorative
terracotta panelled architraves and cartouches over each
window. Second floor windows similar. Lozenge frieze below
modillion eaves cornice. New dormer windows in roof, and gable
end stacks. 2-light transomed windows in 3 faces of angle
towers, with decorative terracotta dressings. Attic storey
above cornice, and interlace decoration to frieze over attic
windows.
West return of white glazed brick, with long 2-storeyed wing
with 5 wide segmentally-arched windows and smaller windows to
service range beyond. East return brick and terracotta, with
canted angle to rear gable. Rear range parallel to street
links the two wings.
INTERIOR of main hall has ornate plaster panelled ceiling and
tiled walls.


Listing NGR: SD9265704877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.