This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5429 / 54°32'34"N
Longitude: -1.9234 / 1°55'24"W
OS Eastings: 405055
OS Northings: 516406
OS Grid: NZ050164
Mapcode National: GBR HH0X.D8
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.F2BP
Plus Code: 9C6WG3VG+5M
Entry Name: Trustee Savings Bank
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388741
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0516SW MARKET PLACE
770-1/6/112 (East side)
24/02/50 Nos.21 AND 23
Trustee Savings Bank
House, later partly shop and offices, now bank and offices.
Mid C18 with C20 bank. Coursed squared stone with ashlar
quoins and painted dressings; roof of Welsh slate with stone
and brick chimney. Long rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 4-window range. Bank front has panelled
end pilasters, 3 windows, high plinth and top entablature.
Entrance at left leading to doors to yard passage to left and
bank to right. Painted architraves to plain sashes on upper
floors, those on top floor lengthened since C19 from square
windows. Roof has right end chimney raised in brick.
Rear shows broad glazing bars in windows of extruded stair
wing. Rear wing on south side of yard of 3-storey, 4-window
range and 2-storey (raised to 3), 2-window range, with square
projecting bay window adjacent to front range. Plain stone
surrounds, some tooled, to most 2-panel and half-glazed doors,
and to sashes with 12, 6 or 4 panes, and ground floor left end
casement in mullioned window and third bay 12-pane horizontal
sliding sash. Architraves to 12-pane sash at left of second
floor in 3-storey build. Some openings blocked. High corniced
stone pier attached to left end of range.
INTERIOR: low arch at rear of passage leads to enclosed first
flight of stair; dogleg stair to upper floors has closed
string, turned balusters, ramped grip handrail, panelled
newels. Doors in upper floors have 4 fielded panels, panelled
reveals and architraves. Dado rail to stair and some rooms;
stucco cornice to one room. Window architraves. Rear wing,
second floor, third room from front range, has broad glazing
bars and bullion glass in south facing window, one pane with
scratched message in form of a letter, dated 22 October 1788,
signed W Porit.
(Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust: Rackham RA: Barnard
Castle and Teesdale, A Victorian Perspective: Barnard Castle:
1988-: PLATE 6).
Listing NGR: NZ0505816407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings