This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5427 / 54°32'33"N
Longitude: -1.9234 / 1°55'24"W
OS Eastings: 405055
OS Northings: 516386
OS Grid: NZ050163
Mapcode National: GBR HH0X.DB
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.F2BT
Entry Name: 15 and 17, Market Place
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388738
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0516SW MARKET PLACE
770-1/6/109 (East side)
24/02/50 Nos.15 AND 17
House, now hotel and shop. Building said to date from 1690
(deeds); C19 shop front at right and early C20 bar front at
left. For the Raby Castle estate. Coursed squared stone with
ashlar quoins and painted dressings; roof of stone slates with
stone gable coping and brick chimneys. L-plan with long rear
wing. 3 storeys; 4-window range. 6-panel door and 3-pane
overlight in third bay in pedimented architrave surround.
Projecting shallow square bay to corniced bar front at left
has wood mullions to 4 lights with transom. Small shop front
at right has half-glazed door at left and small square bay
window at right under continuous entablature. Above, sashes
with glazing bars on first floor and 6-pane sashes on second
floor have painted architraves. Roof has gable copings resting
on moulded kneelers.
Rear wing at north of yard of 3-storey, 3-window, range, and
2-storey, 3-window range.
INTERIOR: fire screens added to wide open-well stair, with
shallow risers, grip handrail, and boxed balustrade.
First-floor full-width room, with later partitions, has raised
fielded panelling and cupboards, panelled shutters, panelling
below windows, deep chair rail; doors have architraves and
panelled reveals. Second-floor front rooms have 2-panel
cupboard doors with L-hinges, 2-panel doors, bolection-moulded
stone fireplace surround, and splayed boarded recess below and
continuing window openings. Rear wing also has splayed window
recesses with seats, some windows with broad glazing bars, and
plain stone fireplace surrounds.
Listing NGR: NZ0505616389
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings