This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.003 / 52°0'10"N
Longitude: -2.1417 / 2°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 390366
OS Northings: 233851
OS Grid: SO903338
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.CBY
Mapcode Global: VH93M.TXMC
Plus Code: 9C4V2V35+68
Entry Name: Mitton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376898
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO93SW OLD MANOR LANE, Mitton
859-1/3/381 (South side)
27/07/73 Mitton Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BREDON ROAD, Mitton
Large detached house, formerly farmhouse. Date 1653 on
fireback seems appropriate, windows altered C20. English bond
brickwork, some stone; stone slate roofs, N wing with concrete
replacements, but inner slopes in tile.
PLAN: original layout was 2-room cross passage L-plan, but
wing added at N end to give U-plan; wing possibly on earlier
work, which has good stonework in gable wall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement and attic ; all windows to
main front, and returns both ends, are 4-light multi-pane
casements, with transom at ground floor and set to wide
splayed brick voussoirs, C20 replacements. Main (W) front
4-windowed, with blank recesses at either end both floors, and
middle first floor above central C20 brick porch over C19
door. 3-course mid string on moulded bottom course is stepped
up at each of blank panels. Modillion eaves to hipped roof,
returned to original L-plan.
Right return (S) identical to front, but no central door; left
return has 1 window, flanked each side by blank recesses, then
a set-back gabled section with two 2-light gabled dormers
above three 3-light, alternating with blank recesses and to
brick string, all as main facade. Here the splayed voussoirs
are tumbled at the centre.
At back the left gable is hipped, in one bay with one casement
above French doors; N wing is gabled, with ground floor in
large squared coursed limestone, 2-windowed, 2-light casements
to segmental heads. Further door and various windows in
set-back centre unit. 2 large stacks with 5 connected flues,
and one with 2 flues.
INTERIOR has former 2 rooms interconnected, nibs of passage
wall only remaining. Right room has C17 panelling to 3 walls,
stripped pine C18 shutters, large central transverse and one
lateral beam; left room with very fine stone Jacobean-style
fireplace and overmantel, with strapwork, 2 supporter figures
flanking openings, and 3 in overmantel. Fireback has incised
'1653 TLC'. 3 heavy stopped-chamfer transverse beams stopped
to very heavy lateral full width above fireplace; shutters as
right room. Back of S wing has large room with C18 imported
moulded wood fire surround, 2-compartment ceiling to moulded
cornice and frieze. 2 basement rooms connected through brick
tunnel vault, stone floors.
Listing NGR: SO9036633851
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings