This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9975 / 51°59'51"N
Longitude: -2.1541 / 2°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 389516
OS Northings: 233242
OS Grid: SO895332
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.N7F
Mapcode Global: VH93T.M220
Plus Code: 9C3VXRXW+29
Entry Name: The Old Police Station and the Old Police Station Dental Practice
Listing Date: 29 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474219
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 89 33 TEWKESBURY BREDON ROAD
859-1/6/393 The Old Police Station and The
Old Police Station Dental Practice
Prison, remodelled as police station; now a dwelling and dental surgery. 1816; remodelled 1854; extended 1902. English bond brick; some original stone architraves remain. Slate hipped roof with corbelled brick eaves courses. Brick axial stacks with heightened shafts.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan, with entrance to right of centre on NW front and bowed bay opposite at rear [SE]; outshut and small single-storey range at right end of rear [SE] elevation. Remodelled as police station in 1854; and in 1902 extended at SW end with single-storey addition. Main range converted to a dwelling and extension used as dental surgery in C20.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window NW front; centre right-hand bay breaks forwards with 4-centred arch recess containing original stone door frame, with hoodmould, chamfered arris, 4-centred arch, barred fanlight and studded door with grille; 4-pane sashes [probably installed 1854] with gauged red brick flat arches. Single-storey extension on right with tablet in gable inscribed CC 1902'. Rear SE elevation, full-height 2-storey bow to left of centre, with plain stone window architraves, the two on first floor and one to right with small-pane iron-frame windows, the stone architraves and first floor architrave to left have later casements; single-storey range and outshut on right.
INTERIOR: At least part of the first floor is supported on brick vaulting.
HISTORY: Tewkesbury Gaol was built in 1816, following an Act of 1813, to supersede the Abbey belfry which had been used as the gaol. It is recorded that a treadmill was in use at the gaol in 1828. In 1854 the gaol was closed and remodelled as a police station; it was extended in 1902 by the County Council.
SOURCE: VCH Gloucestershire, p.148.
Listing NGR: SO8951633241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings