This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9915 / 51°59'29"N
Longitude: -2.1608 / 2°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 389052
OS Northings: 232572
OS Grid: SO890325
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0HZ
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H6HN
Plus Code: 9C3VXRRQ+HM
Entry Name: 28, 30 and 32, St Mary's Lane
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376915
Location: Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 ST MARY'S LANE
859-1/6/336 (West side)
27/07/73 Nos.28, 30 AND 32
Terrace of 3 stocking-workers' cottages. Mid to late C18.
English bond brickwork, tiled roof; back extension to Nos 28 &
30 in frame with painted horizontal boarding, tile roof.
Converted to modern domestic occupation, the cottages retain
the very wide casements at first-floor level to provide
maximum light for working.
3 storeys and attic, 3-windowed, but 1:2:1 2-light dormers to
attics. At second floor and ground floor are 3-light
horizontal bar casements, at first floor very wide 6-light
with dividing wood mullion small-pane casements, all to brick
segmental arches. 3 plank doors to segmental heads, plus, far
left, a smaller plank door to square head to throughway.
2-course brick string at first floor, and one course at second
floor, brick dentilled eaves. Square brick stack near hipped
right end. Right return 1-winowed; a 2-light gabled dormer,
then 3-light C20 steel casements to segmental brick heads. The
left gable return has a small light to the attic. Large
boarded extension to back. INTERIOR not inspected.
Important reminders of earlier industry in the town, the block
of building is also visually significant at a bend in St
Mary's Lane and is notable for the retention of its
first-floor 'weaving' windows.
Listing NGR: SO8905232571
Other nearby listed buildings