This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5481 / 54°32'53"N
Longitude: -1.9203 / 1°55'12"W
OS Eastings: 405254
OS Northings: 516989
OS Grid: NZ052169
Mapcode National: GBR HH1V.2D
Mapcode Global: WHB4D.GYT6
Entry Name: Railway Cottages
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388805
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0516NW STRATHMORE COURT
770-1/4/176 (West side)
22/02/73 Nos.7, 8 AND 9
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Nos.48, 49 AND 50 Railway Cottages MONTALBO
Railway station, later goods station, now 3 houses. 1856. For
Darlington and Barnard Castle Railway Company. c1861 became
goods station when South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway
Company opened new station. Portico removed to Valley Gardens,
Saltburn in 1863 (Hoole) and incorporated in the Albert
Memorial. Pecked and margined ashlar with ashlar plinth,
pecked and margined quoins, and ashlar dressings. Roof Welsh
slate with stone gable copings, grey ridge tiles and stone and
ashlar chimneys; some Lakeland slate patching to No.9.
EXTERIOR: one storey; 6-window range, with set-back blank end
bays. Right house has rear wing. Rear extension to right part
of building possibly represents original canopy to road. West
elevation formerly to railway lines has portico removed.
Central C20 glazed door and overlight in architrave with
scroll brackets to large cornice. Renewed 4-pane sashes in
aedicules with pediments on scroll brackets. Low-pitched
hipped roof has 2 tall corniced chimneys behind ridge and one
at eaves at each end; tall octagonal yellow pots have
Right return has flat stone lintels to half-glazed door and
renewed sashes with glazing bars. Rear elevation has late C20
doors and windows. South wing has gable on moulded kneelers.
Long rear outshut under catslide roof. Prominent projecting
roof lights on rear slope: small to No.8, and 2 large ones to
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Portico removed to Valley Gardens, Saltburn, in 1863 and
incorporated into the Albert Memorial (Hoole).
(Tomlinson WW: North Eastern Railway (3rd edition): Newton
Abbott: 1987-: 555; Hoole K: Railway Stations of the North
East: Newton Abbot: 1985-: 152; A Regional History of the
Railways of Great Britain: Hoole K: The North East: Newton
Abbott: 1965-: 133-7).
Listing NGR: NZ0525416989
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings